Thread: Can I grow a peach tree?

Can I grow a peach tree?

I plan on planting some apple, peach, apricot and maybe pear during the bare root season this year. I thought, however, that perhaps I could start a peach tree from the pits I have collected from fruit I bought this year.

I have never done anything like this and would like to try. What is the advice from the experts here? Or should I just wait and buy the bare root stock later?

Thanks,
    Mark

Re: Can I grow a peach tree?

Most of the fruit trees you buy are grafted. Meaning they graft the top onto a more desireable root stock. You might be able to grow the peaches from the pits, but I don't think the resulting tree will be very hardy. It's worth a try though.

Here is a site that might help you figure this one out.

http://www.penpages.psu.edu/penpages...1/2940174.html

Thanks folks,
    Really good info (as expected) and it sounds like my odds are not good. I think I will give it a shot just to see what the outcome is but I am going to hedge my bet by purchasing the bare root trees later on.

I called my local nursery about what my options were for apricots, peaches, apples, cherries and nectorines and did feel like I had many. Any experience with online options such as http://www.forkandspade.com/?html=de...eywords=fruit_

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mark

Your profile does not say where you are located. But all fruit trees have different chilling requirements to set good fruit. In Texas we do not have that many chilling days (unless your in the panhandle) and many varieties that do well up north, do not perform well here. Your local extension agent would be the best place to go and find out what varieties are best suited for your location. Besides chilling requirements there are varieties that rippen at different times of the year. I always like to get the earliest varieties so that the bugs wouldn't have as much time to eat what I didn't [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] .

Rjohnson,
    I'm in N. Texas and getting ready to find some peach trees (3 -5). I've been looking at the chilling requirements and selecting some varieties. Do you have any you recommend. I'm looking for free stones mainly. I was planning to plant all different varieties. I'll probably plant 1 Loring, looking for other suggestions for the rest.

You might try Ranger, Harvester, Redglobe, Loring, Redskin, or Dixiland. I have grown a white peach from Stark Brothers called Early White Giant that I really liked. But I caution you, you cannot grown good quality peaches in Texas unless you are willing to spray on a regular schedule. See your local extention agent for a spray schedule and varieties good for your county.

Randy