Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Generic Roundup?

Re: Generic Roundup?

ThistleTop, what do you mean by "girdle the tree"?

Thanks
    Dick Austin

<font color="blue"> what do you mean by "girdle the tree"?
    </font color>
    Icando, It was suggested by another poster that you can notch the tree and apply Remedy herbicide. My point is if you are going to be using an ax, you just as well chop a ring around the tree (girdle it) and forget the herbicide. I would cut thru the coarse bark and the thin inner layer called the cambium. Remove a ring of material about an inch wide. This is the way new crop ground was established in the old days. Of course the dead trees still stood until they fell or were cut down. But that would be the case also if you use herbicide.

TK

The girdle connection... You are encircling the trunk (of the tree)
    like a girdle encircles the wearer's trunk. A ligature that completely cuts off circulation as the tree grows will kill it. The reason the typical piece of barbed wire doesn't is that it doesn't do a good enough job and the tree grows around it. Girdling the tree by cuting through the camdium layer and stripping a small band below the camdium all the way round is a sure kill and doesn't require time for the tree to grow. It is absolutely as fast as any chemical short of massive quantities of diesel (set on fire.)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Off topic but perhaps of interest.

In the area in which I grew up the initial homsteaders used girdling when clearing wooded land. This would be done several years prior to them actually starting to remove trees and preparing the land for cultivation. They only had strong backs and horses whit which to work with.

Egon

ehhhh, bulldozer.... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] By the way, has anyone had any better luck with remedy$$$$, than roundup or its generic, less$$$$$.

ican, When used for what, applied how???

I get terrific results from both, ust not always for the same purpose. There is no single best and most economical herbicide, which is why there are many types. As far as Roundup vs the generic goes...the weed can't see the label. Is it 50 cents or half a dollar?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"