Thread: Truck brakes

Truck brakes

Question?

96 Dodge Cumins 2500. Usually have a camper on the back and tow a trailer of up to 10,000 pounds. Truck has 100K miles and the original front rotors which have seen three sets of new pads.

I am considering installing the front brake system of a 3500 series truck. The conversion is not difficult and would be done by qualified personell. It gives larger rotor and bigger calipers and should have better stopping power.

Is this a reasonable conversion?

Egon

Re: Truck brakes

Probably a bigger master cylinder to go with the bigger calipers?

While I haven't doen this particular conversion, I have done many similar brake upgrades.

As indicated the master cylinder is most likely different. I would also strongly suspect that the rear brakes are larger, and the proportioning valve may be slightly different also. Personally if I was upgrading brakes I would do the entire system, not just the front half.

Two ways to check component compatibility/interchange are a good factory parts department with current parts catalogs, or a good salvage yard with aftermarket interchange manuals.

My question to you is haven't you overloaded that poor 2500 long enough? Rather than fool around with a brake upgrade why not find a good used 3500 that has the better brakes, and better suspension to go with them. I suspect if you were to shop for high mileage 3500 in comparable condition, you would find that you would spend less selling the 2500 and moving up than doing the brake upgrade.

I understand there are many factors in a situation like this, and realize that the majority of people would rather modify their present vehicle than make a change. I only suggest the change because I have seen lots of situations where the best solution was replacement, not modification.

Good luck in either case

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Autoteck:

Used diesel trucks are hard to come by in this area.

If I do the job it will be done by competent people[ not me ] and all the details you have mentioned will be looked at.

Thanks.

Egon

Egon

Since you plan to go forward with the upgrade there are some options to consider.

Since you indicated that the 3500 has a larger rotor and caliper I would assume that the spindle is different also. You haven't mentioned if the truck is 2 or 4 wheel drive, so I'm assuming its 2WD. If you are replacing the spindles I assume you are planning on locating used parts for the conversion. I would do the same, perhaps replacing the calipers, master cylinder and wheel cylinders depending on condition. The rotors should be fine if they mic OK.

If the truck is 4WD, and the spindles are different, things get complicated quickly. At that point you would probably want to take the whole axle assy. Of course if the ratio is different than your's you'll need the rear axle also. At that point you might as well take the springs as well and make it a 3500. (See below also)

I have done brake upgrades that required spindle replacement where the size of the balljoint studs were different - the heavier chassis having a larger stud. This is simple to check by cross referencing the balljoint part numbers. If the balljoints are different you may have to use the contol arms as well.

Something to consider, since you need to locate a salvage yard with the components you need, would be simply replacing the entire front and rear suspension assemblies from the frame to the ground. This would give you the larger brakes, heavier suspension, and may not cost a whole lot more in parts depending on your bargaining skills and the popularity of 3500 suspension components.

Not to go too far afield, but in situations like this I find that locating a good parts vehicle (perhaps something with a blown engine, or hit in a location that leaves what you need intact) to be the best alternative financially. Overall you pay less for what you need, you also generally end up with additional components you can use that you might not otherwise purchase (nicer interior stuff, chrome bumper, better mirrors, etc). In addition you can often offset the cost of the parts vehicle by reselling the good parts you don't need. I have had many situations where I walked away with the upgrade I wanted, some extra goodies, and a few dollars more in my pocket then when I started. Don't forget that the parts you are removing may have value as well - be careful you don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

If you are using a shop to do the conversion I would discuss these options with them. See how they feel about the various paths you could take in terms of what you do and how you do it. Afterall, in the end, they have to do the work so their input is important.

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Update on truck brake conversion.

First many thanks to all who have given me advice. It has been appreciated.

Today the truck was taken in for some corroded brake lines and leaking rear axle seals. The owner of the shop the truck has been taken to had also been looking into the conversion for me. Between chrylser and goodyear it was determined the 3500 series brakes would reduce my stopping distance by a whopping one and a half feet with a load of one ton. Needless to say I was told the cost versus benifit just was not wothwhile. It's history.

Just for information in 96 both the 2500 and 3500 series use a dana 60 front axle.

Again thanks to all for all the time and trouble you have gone to in advising me.

Egon