Thread: Refurbishing Town Driveway

Refurbishing Town Driveway

We have approximetly 200 feet of asphalt drive around our house in town that requires maintenance. Some cracks and parts of the surface were showing signs of deterioration.

My solution which still has several days to completion was as follows.
    Swept the surface as clean as possible. Used water hoze to clean out cracks and for a final clean on the surface. Poured some salt in the cracks and then a thin layer of very fine beach sand. Then, using a paint roller applied a coating of the cheapest coal tar asphalt sealing compound I could find. Applied more to cracks and another layer of beach sand. Next small areas were again coated and a crusher fines mixture was spread over the still wet area. Then the truck or tractor was used to pack the fines into the surface. [ air on the go would have been nice]

I intend to let the drive stay like this for several weeks and then shovell or broom all the excess fines off.

Any comments on if my time was wasted or a better inexpensive way to do it.

Egon

Re: Refurbishing Town Driveway

How about questions? I was under the assumption that deterioration is caused by separation between the asphalt and base (weeds, water, etc.). What's the salt for?

Re: Refurbishing Town Driveway

The salt will hopefully stop any vegetation from growing in the cracks.

Egon