Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dreaming of getting horse

dreaming of getting horse

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to keeping livestock. We moved on to a old farm that has had alot of cleanup and repair that we are working on. So far we have gotten 2 calves, 2 pigs, 24 chickens and 4 ducks and all are happy and healthy. Heres the challenge, I've always wanted a horse and I know almost nothing. I took riding lessons for a year, then got married and kids and just now, at 35yrs, getting back around to the dream. The calves pasture has a concretepad leading up to the barn, it used to be a milking barn. Is it ok for a horse to be in a pasture w/ concrete? Also the only barn that is good shape right now has concrete flooring? Is there something to put on the flooring so the stall would be useable by a horse. Last of all, is there a way to find good horse that I could enjoy w/out investing alot of money? I know they're care and intial cost can be high, but it may just be me riding. Money sometimes can be tight.
    Does anyone have any insight or direction? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Thankyou.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Re: dreaming of getting horse

Think your situation will be okay for a horse.
    Can't give any advice on how to find one other than to ask around locally.

Egon

I was in the your shoes 5 years ago. I bought 10 acres with an option on 10 more. It was an old 30 acre "ranch," ten arces sold to a church. The barn was a mess, you could not see the house from the road and the field overgrown with fennal.

I've been riding since my teens and wanted horses for me and my kids. I found someone who had horses and who was willing to work with me to teach me how to be a horseman, not just to ride.

I now have three horses, one of which I have gentled and trained. I've doctored them at 3 am, and even have started a boarding stable to help defray the costs of the land.

Its a wonderful journey, but find a mentor that will teach you the ropes, not just how to ride!
    Roger Meadows
    TiAnViCa Ranch
    Mulberry, Florida

The last horse we bought was in response to an ad in the local paper. Paid $550 for a six year old Appaloosa/quarter horse gelding, not registered. He has a good spirit and wants to go when you ride him. Some of his energy needs to be channelled, but he is fun to be around and is gentle with everyone. Right now, it seems that a lot of people are selling, so there is a good choice on the market. Make sure you take someone with you who knows horses well to help you make your buying decision.

Once you decide where you want your horse stalls, you can get stall mats to take care of the concrete floor being so hard. TSC has some good, fairly inexpensive ones. Wood shaving bedding also helps out in the stall.

Take your time and consider your choices wisely. Good luck

I'm feeling at least there is hope...
    I do want to learn as much about horses as I can, I've read books but [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I feel, like w/ the other livestock some of it doesn't make sense until your hands on. I was worried that the concrete in the stall and pasture was no good and would have to wait until I had more area cleaned up. The clean up takes SOOO LOOOONG! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Sounds like your horse would be happy. You did not say how much room you have for it. It is best to stable them at night and let them loose in the day time if you have room. Some thoughts on cost the horse is the cheapest part. I live in Arizona these are my approximate cost bale of hay $10 last one week horse eats grass during day time. Horse pellets gets two pounds a day $10 for 50lb bag. Horse shoeing $75 every 7 to 8 weeks. Vet care shots ect $200 a year.

I would advise an older 10yrs well trained horse. Don't let someone sell you one you can't ride and then try to train it.
    Look for bulletin boards in feed store and better yet local riding stables. Go to the stable maybe take a few refresher lessons talk to the owners and boarders. If you fit in and it sounds like you would someone will find you a good horse.

So far we have cleaned up about 4-5 acres around the house, the pasture is about 1 acre. We decided to lease this place to make sure we liked this lifestyle. Its working much better for me than the ratrace and the people here are so friendly. NEVER got that at our old city. It looks like we are going to do this long term, in a few years we'll try to buy this place or look for another ranch for our own.
    Thanks for the other cost of maintance. I wasn't sure of vet cost or shoeing.
    You guys mentioned some ideas that I hadn't thought about, found some Rescue places near here and asked if they need volunteers so I can get some hands on experience and going out to get the Equine paper from the feedstore to see about anymore leads.
    Getting excited, seeing a light... [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

The older horse, refresher lessons, and taking a knowledgeable person (maybe the one who gives you lessons?) are great ideas. We did this 8 years ago, and, though I drive an hour to work, wouldn't have it any other way-- 37 acres (20 leased to a farmer), 4 horses, 2 dogs, 1 bird (don't know why [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img], and 7-9 "barn" cats. Usually, I don't start the car on the weekends -- run the tractor when I'm not riding, and just enjoy life...can't wait until retirement!!!! Work, yes, but well worth it... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Best of luck!!!

JackD

Waitin for retirement.

That's when you get get to work full time- no weekends off

Egon

Egon...love it!!!

Jack