Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: dreaming of getting horse

Re: dreaming of getting horse

I don't know the averages... but we have two horses and a pony. The youngest horse is Rythm-aire (Morgan), is 25 years old, Bambi (Morgan/QH) is 30 years old, and Rusty (Shetland cross??) is 35 years old. I guess you could say we have a retirement home instead of a horse barn. My Wife's family has had all these girls since they were about 3 years old.

I've recently started doing some of the chores over there since we'll be taking them to our house and I want them to get to know me. So far so good... and I have to tell ya - though old, these gals are not hobbling old relics. I was suprised the first time I saw them how active and healthy they look. I've still got a TON to learn about horses... but I think they are a good way to get started.

So How old do they live... A long time if they are like our 3. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Steve Mann
    Salem, CT

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

I know a few horses who are in their late 30's. I've heard that they can make it over 40, but I assume that's pretty rare.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Well we'll see how it goes when they come here. My wife is a nurse, and she loves to keep everyone healthy! I hope they still have several years left - They really are quite pleasant. The one everyone told me was moody has been an absolute doll to me - we've really hit it off - but I've truly enjoyed all of them.
    Steve Mann
    Salem, CT

Yesterday was my first day volunteering at the Rescue, I forgot what it was like to be around them. Alot of them have serious health problems that I hopefully won't have to deal w/. Many blind animals, which I had never come in contact. Of course cleaning the stall is all the same.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Stall cleaning.... aghhh the smell of ammonia! I was doing that probably about the same time as you this morning. Do you have a web link to the rescue group that you're volunteering at? I just found a very worthy breed rescue group for Standard Bred on the web. Man, what a job those folks do. I give you a lot of credit for what you're doing. I'm sure those horses would give you a hearty thanks if they could talk.
    Steve Mann
    Salem, CT

http://www.ismi.net/horseshaven/
    They seem to be a great group of people, not one of them are paid. Most of them really know what they are doing too. Going to have to keep my eyes and ears open..... need to learn alot.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Thanks for the link - my wife and I just took the virtual barn tour. I'll bet you can learn a lot being around folks who not only know a lot - but are obviously kind hearted.
    Steve Mann
    Salem, CT

It is nice to work w/ some kind hearted people, you know its about the cause and not the money. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

If you are still looking for horses you might look at an older reiner or possible a cutter/reined cow horse. These performance horses tend to be extremely broke and since they are almost all Quarter Horses you are, by breeding, generally, getting a pretty quiet horse.

It's not uncommon for a performance horse to get arena sour and not be showable. Nothing wrong with the horse but it just does not want its wheels run off in the showpen any longer. I recently saw an 6 year old NRHA futurity open finals horse that originally sold for $80,000 go for $13,000 because he was over shown. Nothing physically wrong with him either. We are in the process of giving up one of our reiners to a local girl who will take care of him. Its good for us because he goes to a great home and gets the retirement he deserves and she gets a great horse that will baby sit her. No money involved....

Check NRHA.com for your local affiliate and go to some of their shows and start snooping around. Once folks know you and trust you those deals will pop up.
    Mark