Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dreaming of getting horse

Hybrid View

dreaming of getting horse

Hi, I'm new to the forum and to keeping livestock. We moved on to a old farm that has had alot of cleanup and repair that we are working on. So far we have gotten 2 calves, 2 pigs, 24 chickens and 4 ducks and all are happy and healthy. Heres the challenge, I've always wanted a horse and I know almost nothing. I took riding lessons for a year, then got married and kids and just now, at 35yrs, getting back around to the dream. The calves pasture has a concretepad leading up to the barn, it used to be a milking barn. Is it ok for a horse to be in a pasture w/ concrete? Also the only barn that is good shape right now has concrete flooring? Is there something to put on the flooring so the stall would be useable by a horse. Last of all, is there a way to find good horse that I could enjoy w/out investing alot of money? I know they're care and intial cost can be high, but it may just be me riding. Money sometimes can be tight.
    Does anyone have any insight or direction? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Thankyou.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Re: dreaming of getting horse

Think your situation will be okay for a horse.
    Can't give any advice on how to find one other than to ask around locally.

Egon

I was in the your shoes 5 years ago. I bought 10 acres with an option on 10 more. It was an old 30 acre "ranch," ten arces sold to a church. The barn was a mess, you could not see the house from the road and the field overgrown with fennal.

I've been riding since my teens and wanted horses for me and my kids. I found someone who had horses and who was willing to work with me to teach me how to be a horseman, not just to ride.

I now have three horses, one of which I have gentled and trained. I've doctored them at 3 am, and even have started a boarding stable to help defray the costs of the land.

Its a wonderful journey, but find a mentor that will teach you the ropes, not just how to ride!
    Roger Meadows
    TiAnViCa Ranch
    Mulberry, Florida

The last horse we bought was in response to an ad in the local paper. Paid $550 for a six year old Appaloosa/quarter horse gelding, not registered. He has a good spirit and wants to go when you ride him. Some of his energy needs to be channelled, but he is fun to be around and is gentle with everyone. Right now, it seems that a lot of people are selling, so there is a good choice on the market. Make sure you take someone with you who knows horses well to help you make your buying decision.

Once you decide where you want your horse stalls, you can get stall mats to take care of the concrete floor being so hard. TSC has some good, fairly inexpensive ones. Wood shaving bedding also helps out in the stall.

Take your time and consider your choices wisely. Good luck

I'm feeling at least there is hope...
    I do want to learn as much about horses as I can, I've read books but [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I feel, like w/ the other livestock some of it doesn't make sense until your hands on. I was worried that the concrete in the stall and pasture was no good and would have to wait until I had more area cleaned up. The clean up takes SOOO LOOOONG! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Opie,
    Get some goats to help you with the cleanup. Put 5 or 6 of them in a 100' x 100' fenced area. They eat everything that's edible, and a lot that's not. Once they clean that area up, move your fence out another 50'. They'll have all the weeds chewed down and the tree's pruned up in no time.

I good buddy of mine moved onto an old 300 acre farm that had beed neglected for years after the grandparents passed away. It was a tangle of falling down barns, weeds over your head etc. He put about 12 goats to work around the homested and had it looking great. he'd let the goats clear an area, then he'd walk through and clean up anything they couldn't eat, building burn piles and burying the rest.

Good luck with the horse. Find an old trail or family horse with good feet who's used to being on pasture. There's a lot of people who need to get rid of the family pet horse and are willing to give them away to a good home. You can worry about getting a performance horse after you learn the ropes. A nice old horse will do as much teaching as you're willing to learn and will be very forgiving of your mistakes without giving you a shoe up side your noggin. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

The old Plugs are nice horses but be aware, once you start to curry combe one they will keep you at it for hours on end. They have their little tricks to keep you there.

Egon

Yes, an older horse would make me happy. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Latter if the girls like the horses, hopefully we'll know more on where to go from there. What is the age frame do you suggest?
    We had heard the goat thing from someone else and went to get one and when my husband saw them, didn't like them. I thought they were cute but I think the Guineas birds are cute too. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Twelve to thirteen years means they still have plenty of trail left in 'em. Here's a photo of my 13 year old pasture ornament, he's pretty set in his ways.

gs-
    I think he's quite a nice looking horse (and I'm sure that he'd agree [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )
    For those of us like me and opie who are new to this, would his color be Dun or Palomino?