Thread: If'n

If\'n

You know, if'n hurricane Frances decides to hold her present course, there's a very real possibility that she'll end up right in our back yard. Right after Charley.

The thing is, if'n it hadn't been for the low pressure system that stalled over the panhandle of Florida, Charley wouldn't have hit us either. But it was there. Lots of little details fell in to place to make it all happen. Fact is, Charley couldn't have hit us anymore dead on if'n we'd had a target painted over us.

Now...if'n Frances does come here, and God forbid, she's a category four or five, and considering the fact that there are a lot of buildings standing now simply because Charley was a relatively fast mover...what do you think is going to happen if we get hit with more one hundred plus mile an hour winds?

Two out of every five trees standing in Hardee County went down in Charley. One out of every four houses sustained severe damage. Two out of every six businesses won't see revenue for another month. Few people here can get through a moderate to severe thunderstorm without breaking out in the cold sweats.

The folks of central Florida got tons of help from just about any aid system you can think of. For two weeks. That's bound to put a dent in their resources. Not to mention the people who gave from their own pockets and from the sweat of their brow. They're just now all starting to go back where they came from. What is it going to be like if'n Frances hits here? I don't even want to think about it.

Has a major hurricane ever hit the same place twice in the space of a month?

Re: If\'n

I just heard about this one yesterday. What a mess if it hits again... My brother is right outside of Daytona, in Ormond Beach. He owns a small equipment shop - I guess he sold darn near 30,000 in chainsaws and other clean up stuff after the last hurricane. For you and everyone down there I really hope you folks get a pass on this one.
    Steve Mann
    Salem, CT

Re: If\'n

You and me too. I know it's like wishing a bad on someone else, but I don't think we could hold up through another one.