Thread: Garden Tractor Attachment

Garden Tractor Attachment

I have a large lawn area around the house needing improvement. There are number of problems need to be solved. I am thinking about dethatch, aerate, and over-seed. I have a Craftsman garden tractor and am considering to buy a dethatcher and an aerator which can be attached to my garden tractor. Anybody used the Craftsman garden tractor attachment to work the lawn? I noticed that they have several types of aerator, any preferences?
    Any comments, suggestions, and replies genaral or specific will be appreciated.
    Cotton

Re: Garden Tractor Attachment

Chances are the aerator will not have sufficient size or weight to do a proper job.

Egon

Thanks.
    Not much response here. May be this is wrong question here and be better suited to the "Garden" forum.
    Cotton

I doubt that it's the wrong question; more likely just that very few people have tried those implements on a garden tractor.

Craftsman seems to have sold lots of attachments with their garden tractors. Somebody bought them. Egon may be right. Those attachments may be too light weight to do the job.
    Cotton

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Craftsman seems to have sold lots of attachments with their garden tractors

[/ QUOTE ]

I know they have a lot of attachments; no idea how many they've sold. I would assume they sell or they wouldn't keep having them available, but I've known lots of people who have Sears garden tractors for mowing, but have never personally seen anyone using those attachments.

Bird,
    Thanks for the reply.
    Do you use your tractor a lot during the Fall and Winter? I am planning to do spraying and mowing. May be I can keep those grass in the field and the pasture under control this season.
    Cotton

Cotton, unfortunately, I had to move back into town nearly two years ago for family and health reasons, so I don't have a tractor anymore. However, before that I had a Cub Cadet lawn tractor (riding mower) and a Kubota B7100 with front end loader, tiller, box blade, middle buster, cultivator plow, and rotary cutter for about 4 years. So in the Fall, I used the tractor for transportation in the pasture to the pecan trees to pick up and haul pecans, to haul off dead limbs and brush, and I tilled the garden after every rain to keep down any weeds and/or grass. Than I traded both the Kubota and Cub Cadet for a Kubota B2710 and a 60" rear discharge finish mower for the tractor, and had that for about 4 years. I didn't use the tractor as much in the Fall and Winter as in the Spring and Summer, but it probably never sat without being used for more than a week at a time. And when I realized I was going to have to move back to town and put the little farm up for sale, I sold the tractor and all the implements, then bought a Craftsman 21.5 hp garden tractor to do the mowing. No implements except a little pull cart to haul a few things in at times. And when I sold the little farm, I also sold that garden tractor to the buyer of the place.

I own a Craftsman lawn sweeper that seemed heavier than the others at TSC or one of the box stores like Home Depot. I got a pretty good 42" core plug aerator (made by Agri Fab, I believe) from Home Depot. I have had it for about five years and it works well. You can add or subtract concrete blocks to get the downward pressure you want. As I recall, Sears did not offer a core plug aerator, only the kind that makes small scratches in the yard. Advice I got was to get the core plug aerator or don't bother. Think it is still valid. Look around and check out the competition before you buy. Afterall, any garden tractor can pull about any brand pull behind implement. Take your time looking, and get the one best for your job. I know that a co-worker purchased a Craftsman dethatcher and is happy with it.

Good luck on your hunt.

Thanks and I will check around and check out HD too.
    Cotton