Thread: portable generator

portable generator

What is everyone's opinion on these little generators from Yamaha or Honda? http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/gen/ef1000.html They seem handy, but also pricey. I like their size for handling. I want to use it for taking out to my land where there is no electricity. Also to power the pitching machine for my son's baseball team when they are practicing in a vacant field rather than the league fields.
    I am wondering if I should just get a larger one so that I can additionally use it if we get a hurricane. In that case, it would need to drive a freezer and fridge. The problem with one of those is that it is a big unit and not a one man job for carrying. On the other hand I can probably get one of the larger units (4500 watts) from Home Depot for a little more than half the price of one of the cute units that is only 1000 watts.

I really need an opinion here. Thanx

Re: portable generator

There are some other small sized brands around that one man can carry.

Egon

I have a Honda 2500 watt one that I used last summer when the power was out for 3 or 4 days. Used it to run the fridge , TV [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] some lights and a big fan (it was HOT). Kind of fun being the only house on the street with electicity. The Honda ran flawlessly and started first pull even after sitting for months. I'm planning to get a bigger Honda unit for backup when I build in a couple of years' time in Nova Scotia. My only complaint about my unit is the size of the gas tank - it ran for about 3.5-4 hours, and I had to get up in the middle of the night to re-fuel. But hey - I had my fan and fridge !! (Didn't bother with the freezer - it stayed cold and I didn't open it).
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

Egon:
    How hard is that generator to lift in and out of the back of a pickup truck? How much does it weigh?

Weighs around 70 pounds - 1500 continuous watts - 3.5 B&S

Its a coleman recreational model. Up here they cost around $600 Cdn.

Egon

Those little 1000 watt Hondas are sweet. They are quiet, reliable and go for a long time before refuel. They are also really light. Had one moosey hunting last year.

I believe its also possible to 'gang' units for more power.

I have a Generac 4000xl I bought at Home Depot that I like a lot. No question that a Honda would likely be superior. However, with an empty tank it is rated at 98 lbs (I think). It's relatively easy for me to lift up on the tailgate, even with a full (4 gallons I think) tank of gas. Some even have wheels and can be rolled around like a little cart, so if you have a ramp, it's really easy. Mine has a "wheel kit", but that really won't work for my uses, so I haven't tested it.
    Fishman

Those invertor Honda's are really nice and can be ganged together. Only thing is I don't think they have a 220 outlet. Probably not an issue. The Honda is really quiet. I have a 5500 Winco with an 11hp Briggs = LOUD. But it does the job.

The Honda's age great, but very expensive. I'm not sure the model but the ones that are 3,000 watts or so, which can run an RV cost around $1,800. You can get brand X a lot louder but usually more wattage for under $800.
    I'd LOVE a Honda, the price just don't fit well in my life.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

Just a follow-up, I see that Loews sells a Troy-Built generator for a lot less. http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...5301-348-1923. Has anyone used/seen one of these? Fits a lot better into my budget. The down-side is that none of the Loews in my area have any... [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]