Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Levels

Laser Levels

I'm thinking of getting a laser level to add to my tool collection. Uses would include: Basement finishing (framing), Landscape wall construction, Patio construction, Pole barn construction.

Anyone out there have one? What features are desirable/useless? Do they work well enough outside in the sunlight?

TIA

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Re: Laser Levels

The one I got was very inexpensive, but I find it doesn't work well in sunlight. Also another feature to look for, make sure it will mount to a tripod. Makes it easier in my opinion.

I use a Stablia (sp?) model and am very pleased with it.
    basic, simple very easy to use.
    I can see the laser enuf to check levels in daylight at about 30 feet but rely on the handheld sensor. There are some bizarre red glasses that are supposed to help see red.
    Very bright red inside.

Mine is not, but I would highly recommend a self leveling unit

I would only get a self levelling one. I got one several years back that is not self levelling and I don't get a whole lot of use out of it. I use a regular 4 or 8 foot level on a board much more often.

Well, I finally picked up a laser level for my Wall Project

I couldn't justify a $300 model with self leveling and such as a string line will work just fine for my needs. There are a bunch of small laser levels out there for as low as $20. It doesn't make sense to me though to have the accuracy of a laser linked to the inherent inaccuracies of a short (12 inch) bubble level.

At Menards the other day I see this thing (see picture). It's called a Multi-Function Laser Adapter by Maxall. Basically, it's a laser that clamps onto your own level. Cost $39.99 and so far I'm happy. I use my four foot level which I trust, get an area in the wall leveled then shoot that elevation with the laser clamped onto the level. In the picture you see a grade stake with marks at 0, 4 and 8. That's my sophisticated laser pick up to get the laser line at any length along the wall. 0 is the offset of the laser to the ground level, 4 and 8 represent thicknesses of the blocks I'm working with for stepping up/down.

So far, it's much easier to work with than a string level or a water level. Set it, check and pick it up to get it out of the way.

I'm using it on my four footer right now but it will easily clamp to my two footer and it will clamp on at 90 degrees to shoot vertically.

I'll post more about it as my project progresses [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Hi Rob,

Had to buy one to do a polebarn site and ended up with the Robolaser for around $250 for the kit at Menard's. (Link attached ) They also had reasonably priced, well built tripods and rods.

I like it, especially for the price. Its a visible laser even in bright sun, so there is no fumbling with a detector. Its a laser beam that you rotate(in the horizontal plane) via remote control until it hits your rod. 3 rotation speeds in both directions. The efficiency trick is to rotate it as fast as possible without the back and forth overshooting of your rod. Its accurate, which you can confirm with the intuitive calibration.

Spending over $300 for something that you may not use very often is tough. Realistically though, with backhoe work, I think it will come in handy.

John

Robolaser

Well John, I'm definitely jealous as I saw that same laser in my shopping. I may regret it in the future but I'm sure I'll be fine with what I got. Heck, how long have people been successful without lasers at all???

I'm back in from another rain shower. Making good progress and still happy with my little laser [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Rob,

I think your setup is perfect for straight line work. Besides, if you ever need to do a wide area, the price on the more elaborate ones will probably have dropped by as much as you paid for this one. Just to be on the safe side though, you could take the money you saved and spend it on something else useful. Or leverage that savings by using it for a downpayment on....

John

<font color="blue">Just to be on the safe side though, you could take the money you saved and spend it on something else useful. Or leverage that savings by using it for a downpayment on....
    </font color>

I like your thinking Jim. I never think of buying tools as an expense, it's more of an investment. The ROI is my productivity valued at my time savings to accomplish future tasks. Using this theory, I rarely pass on the opportunity to buy a tool and never buy a junk tool [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

As regards the suitability of a laser on a short "spirit" level vs a long (4 ft or more) level. Long levels sort of integrate over a longer distance rather than read a smaller more localized sample. Once you put the level in the air on a tripod or whatever the accuracy is in reading the bubble and has NOTHING to do with the length of the level.

A laser attachment on a level is only as accurate as the bubble and your ability to read it. As long as the level is long enough to not negatively impact the attachment of the laser accessory, there is no advantage to the longer level.

I bought a LASER level at Harbor Freight for $9.95 and it works fine if 1. you don't want to "do" long distances and 2. you dont need to "do" more than say 15 ft in bright sunlight(without the red LASER enhancing glasses.) I have waited till evening twilight to try it at 200 ft or more and the dispersion is so great the "dot" is a big fuzzball. Terrific at close ranges, especially for $10.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"