Thread: wintering livestock

wintering livestock

My husband and I were DISCUSSING [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] the other day on whether or not we let the livestock (cow, pigs and chickens) out during the day after the snow flies..... Right now I just leave the door open and the animal has thier choice about 10 hrs of the day, night we bring everyone in, we have coyotoes around. He was under the impression that in the winter we just feed and water and change straw but keep them in for warmth..... I understand that but I thought that was only if we had sub-zero temps. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Would anyone like to help a newbie? ( I hope we don't drive you crazy w/ all of our Questions) [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Re: wintering livestock

It's much better to let them out. Keeping animals locked up in stalls promotes respiratory and other diseases. Animals do much better outside. If it's a really bad freezing rain or snow storm maybe bring them in. Otherwise leave them out or let them go in and out as they please. Plus unless you have unlimited hours for cleaning a barn that is all you will be doing if you leave them in all the time.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

I agree with Richard, but if your chickens are like mine, once there is snow on the ground, they become very disoriented, and sometimes won't leave the henhoue. They'll go out if it isn't deep, but for some reason, some of them can't find their way back, and we do chicken roundup some nights after snowfalls.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

if your chickens are like mine, once there is snow on the ground, they become very disoriented, and sometimes won't leave the henhoue

Listen to Rich on the chickens. If we're talking horses or cattle I know what I'm talking about. But I know very little about chickens. If Rich says to keep them in then I sure would. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]