Thread: Newbie w/ fresh eggs

Newbie w/ fresh eggs

This morning the girls went to the barn and we had 2 brown eggs waiting for us.. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We celebrated w/ scrambled eggs. After cooking them, they were done but alot of liquid that I drained off.... Is this normal?
    [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Re: Newbie w/ fresh eggs

Congratulations! Fresh eggs are always a treat. The eggs one gets in the store are usually at least 3 weeks old so your eggs contain a lot more liquid. I haven't noticed liquid I've had to pour off of scrambled eggs but I may be cooking them longer. Don't try to hard boil your fresh eggs as they are very difficult to peel when fresh because they have no air pocket caused by evaporation. Let them sit in the refrigerator for a week or two and they'll peel a lot better.
    Good luck. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thank you for those tips. We are having a great time w/ the fresh eggs. The girls are running out and checking ALL the time! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Our toddlers usually won't eat eggs at all, they are begging for more!! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Administrator

Hi Opie,

Congratulations on your first homegrown eggs!

There should not be much liquid with scrambled eggs. Are you keeping a cover on the frying pan? If so, that could accumulate steam as moisture that would fall into the eggs. Keep the lid off.

Usually liquid/watery residue in scrambled eggs is due to cooking them a little too long. So, don't overcook. Take them off the direct heat maybe 20-30 seconds before they are "done." They will continue to cook on a bit from the heat, and will finish cooking as you wait to serve them.

If you want your eggs to be light and fluffy, beat them WELL with a whisk or blender before. The more you beat, the lighter the finished product. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. After you have beaten them, you can add some shredded cheese, and to make it extra creamy, add some half and half, an ounce or two.

Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

Sounds yummy! I love and need the new ideas, I'm not a very good cook [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] , but trying new things w/ the eggs. We made brownies, want to try to make egg salad sandwhiches but we keep eating them before we get enough. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] The girls love the scrambled eggs so much they drive me crazy until I cook it up. We only have two hens that are laying. Come Oct. we should have five more hens starting to lay. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Administrator

Okay. Two hens now, five more in Oct.? Just do the math: 7 eggs per day, 7 days per week = 49 eggs a week. Thats a little more than 4 dozen A WEEK.

Hens of some breeds, like Rhode Island Reds, lay more than one per day, like 1.5 per day average (no, they don't actually lay a half an egg [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).

Most people, even those who LOVE eggs (like me), miscalculate when they get hens. Four dozen eggs a week is more than you'll eat yourselves. So what to do with the extras? Give 'em away!

Except, most of your neighbors probably have all they need too! Really, just a couple of hens should provide enough eggs for the typical family of five or six people.

There's really nothing wrong with having seven hens laying; except that after a few weeks of full production, you'll probably run out of recipes that need eggs, and you'll start using them for things besides cooking -- like tossing against the side of the barn.

One more thing: if you let your hens out at all, they will lay wherever they feel like it. You'll find lots of eggs hidden away in the barn, or a flower bed -- literally anywhere there is place to drop an egg. Most of these you'll miss, and may find them months later. It is fun though!
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

We're a family of six [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] , I hope to sell a few here and there.... Also wanted to try and have some chicks. Raise THEM for meat. We're just trying things out and we'll work out the bugs as we go. We're pretty flexiable [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] , we figure anything that doesn't work for us....we send to processing. At least I know how this stuff was raised and feel better about eating it.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere