Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a 2nd story to pole barn?

Adding a 2nd story to pole barn?

Guys,
    I am in need of extra storage for Hay for our new horses and thought about adding a second story for Hay on a 24X24 pole barn. The plan is to take off the roof put down floor joists and stick build the second story with 2X4's and then put the roof back on. This is what I came up with in about 5 minutes after finding out we need more space. My problem is I would like to see all the problems with this plan before I start.

Let me know what you think,

Steve

Re: Adding a 2nd story to pole barn?

I would suggest a second building if you have the land. It will cost more to add the second level than another building will cost. Hay in the same building as your barn is a fire risk. Hay is also very heavy so you will need to build the structure to support it if you add a second level. I have a barn with a hay loft and we have to pay extra to have it delivered up there and then we have to climb up there every time we want a bale. When we needed extra hay space we bought an old junk horse trailer and fill it with hay in the winter. You can move it right next to the barn when you want it and then park it out of the way when you don't need it.

What we do is build a shelter strictly for the hay and attach it to the side of the barn, shed, or whatever is handy. These are pole type, with OSB roof and the sides are covered with cheap tarps so they can be opened for airing or cleaning.

All you do is come out 8 feet from the side of the existing barn and run a row of poles. Put your top and bottom bands on and however many straps you want going up. Then put a nailer on the side of the exiting barn and use that to tie rafters onto. An 8 foot sidewall on the existing barn, will result in a storage area with just under 8 foot headroom on the barn end and just under 7 foot on the low end. For doors, we usually just leave a flap of tarp.

They go up in an afternoon, and didn't used to cost too much. Of course, the price of OSB is astounding right now. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] They also can come down and be reused for something else fairly easy.

Steve

Hello MDSTEVE! This is just a suggestion! Look at those containers that they use to ship on freighters then put on trucks! Some people call them conx's(probabley misspelled) In different areas they sell them!($1k to 2K?) They are metal & real heavy! They come in 20 ft or 40 ft lenghts & if U keep them off the ground(cribbing under bout 6inches or so) should last! Would be great hay storage! Now as far as 2nd story! Other post were right on about weight,etc & cost! I'd reconsider 2by4's & if went that way maybe frame with I beam, or some kinda channel!

Containers:

I have two 20 footers. They have good door seals and do not leak at all anywhere. There are screened air vents that do not admit water in the worst rain storms (or on a truck doing 75 mph.) They are not insulated and will get hotter than the hinges of hades in the summer. Add green hay and you might get some spontaneous combustion.

They come in many sizes but 20' and 40' are common. There are standard height and Hi-Cube models with higher ceilings. They are available used in all different states of repair at all different prices. If you don't mind a little DIY repair you might get a bargain.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Spontaneous Combustion ! Hum! Pat U may be onto something there! Hay is expensive nowadays but probably can't hold a lite to price of smart bomb!!! w/o good ventalation maybe a large projectile!( save tax payers lots of money on AMMO) just kidding! Didn't think about that part but am sure with proper placement and ventalation it wouldn't be a problem! I know some feed stores store their hay in ole 18 wheeler trailers because of insurance & not storing in same building as store & feed! BTW, if conx's was a route, what would u suggest for storing hay in them! whirly bird vents on top, insulating them, etc!! & a pipe frame with tin roof can't be much differrent in price for hay storage after u start re modeling the conx's!

ROHO, Insulation would help retain any heat of incipient thermal runaway from spontaneous combustion and exacerbate the problem. Turbine vents would be great if the wind was blowing but not too groovy if it were hot and calm. Stacking the hay with plenty of space to allow ventilation between bales would eat up a lot of volume and reduce efficiency.

I have used mine for secure storage but never considered them for hay. I suspect I could suspend a roof for hay storage nearly as cheap as buying containers and having them delivered and have much easier access to the volume. Can't drive a tractor with hay fork into one of these containers.

Another feature of the shipping containers is that in good repair they are rodent proof. With proper screen on the vents they are insect proof. Good seed storage prospects. They make a great secure locker for paint and flamables and or secure storage for chemicals.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat I suppose one big plus on container in security level! thing is almost indestructable & hard to break into! I know the handles(latches) are heavy but what's the locking system! Can bolt cutter cut the lock! Sounds like hay would be to risky, don't know but picture this! Hay burnin or smoldering in middle to bac of 40 footer & U got all kind of junk in front of it! Gettin it out or getting it PUT OUT! Sounds like a nightmare!

ROHO, My containers latch like the typical trailer on an 18 wheeler except the way the lock holder works. There is sort of a tunnel where you put a "discus" high security lock that locks a tremendously strong bolt assembly in place to prevent the doors being forced or the regular locking handles being used.

It is difficult to put the key in the lock, take it out, or turn it and no way to access the lock with a chisel, bolt cutters, or pick but of course given a few minutes with a good cutting torch and you can open nearly any locking mechanism short of professional grade vaults.

A good battery operated angle grinder and a couple batteries would cut an access port. You can't keep out an intelligent determined thief but it sure would slow down an amature. Of course in our case you have to first break into an ADT alarmed and monitored steel building and then break into the container, grab something, and beat it before the law arrived (if you were lucky) or I "scoped you out from 600 ft away, an easy shot for a semi-auto 30-06, if you weren't so lucky.

Thanks Pat! Where my horses stays,been there bout 12 yrs, I've lost several saddle to theif over the years! 1st one right after I moved in! Then started taking tack home/after several years I let my guard down & whamo "NEW ROPING SADDLE with logging chain securing it stollen! Chain cut!" 9 saddles were within arms reach of my saddle never touched! 3 days later they come back and got my last 2 saddles/old but good! When first saddle left there was a AMMERMAN setting right beside it that didn't get stolen! 1st one was a lesson not learned well, the other my fault but was thinking about a small conX for feed & Tack but it's a shame U got to go to that! Think bolt cutter would be about it on thiefs list of tools? He did cut 2 locks to get to the saddles! Anyway sounds like U would have a good opportunity to site in U'r deer rifle if situation happened at U'r house! Well after a time or 2, I bet word would get around, "Don't go down there to steal anything, That man will kill U!" Thanks for info & one more thing! did the conX come that way or did U revise it?" If U revised it maybe a pic? or not!