Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biting Dog...Advice, Please!

Biting Dog...Advice, Please!

We have a three year old mixed lhasa/poodle. We bought Teddy from a pet shop (knowing better!) at 8weeks old. He has been crate trained and we've had no problem until just a few months ago. Teddy lives with our other dog, a Wheaten Terrior (also 3 years old). Over the past few months Teddy has become very territorial and exhibits the following behavior:
    Barking when someone comes to the door or enters the house, nipping at feet, jumping up and grabbing clothing, nipping at feet if you accidently step on his tail (no matter who the person is). He recently attacked the gardner jumping up and grabbing his leg, breaking the skin. Just very recently he has begun attacking the neighbor's Golden Retriver whom he's known since puppyhood. We're very concerned at this point. Even though our children are grown, we have 13 grandchildren from 11 to one years old. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Re: Biting Dog...Advice, Please!

i hate to say this, but you might have to put him down. he has already attacked someone pretty bad.

you could contact a local dog trainer/ behaviorist. maybe some more socialization is in order.

Thanks for your quick response. We have worked with several trainers, and he is well socialized since we have a very busy house...people always in and out. Even though he might attack a stranger at the door, once they are in the house, he is fine, as if he's known them forever. I hate to put him down, but it might be the only option. Any opinion on Prozac?

Bad enough to have a dog that bites, but is it worse to have a dog owner that waits and procrastinates about doing the right thing? Please do the right thing. I know a very ugly tale of an owner who waited too long. His grand daughter paid the price, big time. He will live with that for the rest of his life, as will the little girl.

I hear you loud and clear.

I got a rescue a 4 yr old boston terrier last NOV and unbeknown to me.. he was a bitter, was never socialized with children or other animals... Today he is great with everyone for the exception of one or two every now and then, but that can be expected since we travel a lot and come across some that aren't model citizens if you know what I mean... I am a trucker and Charley travels with me.

There several reasons they bite. Aggressive behavioiur, fear bitting...

Charley bites in self defense I soon figured out. I almost put him down, but once I figured out what provoked him, I altered my actions towards him and he is fine now.
    I had to do a little tough love with him a few times to show him I was the ALFA male and it was NOT ok for him to bite, not even in play ( i remind him, no bite) and he responds well.
    He's learned to take out his aggressive behavor on his toys.. LOL real funny to watch at times.

Sounds to me that you have a behavior problem that can be corrected with some training. I might suggest trying the ALfA ROLL (putting him on his back and holding him there until he looks away) then release him and make no other jestures like praise or anything.

You don't mention if he has been obedience trained or if he/she has been socialized outside of the home or not... Socialization is very important if you want to trust him around starngers.

Might I suggest you read "Dog Whisperers". It explains a lot about pack behavior which might give you some insight on how to handle your little dog.

Another thing is.. if it isn't altered yet, you might want to get the dog fixed. At this age it will take a little time for the hormones to adjust, but its worth a shot... it couldn't hurt.

I've had Charley for 10 months now and he has turned out to be a great little dog... I still have to watch him around strangers, but 99% of the time he's just fine. The ones he doesn't like... I usually don't care for them either, but all he does most times is bark at them.

Check out my post about my situation a while back

http://www.countrybynet.com/forums/s.../o/all/fpart/1

Sounds like Handyman is steering you in the right direction. A BEHAVIORIST/TRAINER is a must at this point and I don't mean the Petsmart variety. I also think the dog is showing a total lack of respect for you as leader of his pack. Barking at the door is one thing, but lashing out and biting when not cornered is pure aggression, something the alpha (any human) initiates, not someone further down in rank (the dog).
    Also, if the dog is showing ANY aggression to you, even when his tail is stepped on, performing the alpha roll can be a little dangerous even with a small breed.
    A trip to the vet my also be in order to make sure he is still "balanced".
    Many dogs that exhibit this behavior have been rehabiltated and many have had to be put down. Even with proper training the dog should never be trusted around any strangers and children again and if you aren't responsible enough to ensure this....

Good luck to you both.

cathytoo,
    Try the vet route and see if the dog could be settled down somewhat with drugs. Also maybe look into a soft muzzle, which will keep him from biting. Lhasa and poodle could make for a very hyper dog. Drugs and/or muzzle might sound extreme but look at the options others would take. By all means, explore some other routes than "PUT HIM DOWN" (makes me feel like biting someone [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Inspector...we are going to the vet for a complete examination (although I think there is nothing physically wrong) and an Rx for Prozac. Hopefully, the medication will bring about a change. With the exception of this new behavior, he is really a wonderful dog.

A "complete" examination will include a full blood panel. This could show a chemical imbalance that while it is a physical difference, could lead to behavior changes. I think it's a little odd that you would be expecting to get meds before the exam, but maybe your vet does things in a different order. I think sometimes they are a little too free with prescribing drugs to mask symptoms rather than curing the problem, but then this argument could be made of a lot of Dr.'s