Thread: Remote building freeze alarm

Remote building freeze alarm

Ran across a great product for folks with remote buildings, cabins, a nursery or... with freeze hazzards due to toilets, sinks, or whatever.

It is a Freeze Alarm by Control Products. It will call up to three phone numbers when the temp gets out of range, the 120VAC power goes out, or its backup battery needs replacing. It gives a spoken description of the condition that triggered the call. This could save a lot of misery and reduce your worry/anxiety level.

It is listed at $179.99 at Amazon but you might find it or the equivalent cheaper elsewhere.

I bet an electronics DIY sort of guy could substitute a burgular alarm function for say the power outage or low back up battery function.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Remote building freeze alarm

At a glance, it sounds good. However, it would require a seperate phone line in the location that it is monitoring. Might be ok in a cabin, if you already have a phone line there, but not likely in remote building.

Steve
    [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    "A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving" Lao Tzu

Although my security system uses a wired phone it has a cell phone backup just in case for some reason the wired phone should become inop. Another piece of technology of potential interest is full duplex telephone repeaters. These utilize a matched pair of full duplex radios to remote a phone via radio link. These can operate, depending on various factors like model, power/sensitivity, antenna, propogation (line of sight etc) several miles and are sometimes a very cost effective alternative to running phone lines (overhead or buried) to remote locations.

In fact I am thinking of installing a set for my new house even though Ialready have wired telephone service (after a fashion.) My service provider is the absolute pits and I could change to Southwestern bell by employing the radio relay. The radio relay just replaces the wires and is transparent to the user. You could be talking on one and never know the dfference. It is really not so different from a microwave link except in frequency band.

Steve, this technology has been in relatively wide spread use for decades.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Someone with a background in electronics could wire up a sensor that would dial out when an armadillo crossed a particular area, alerting the owner of the need to get his gun.
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

JazDad,
    "Someone with a background in electronics could wire up a sensor that would dial out when an armadillo crossed a particular area, alerting the owner of the need to get his gun."

Someone with a SUFFICIENT background in electronics could wire up a sensor system with a gun and not need to bother the owner untill reloading or relocating the pile of Deadadillows was required.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]