Hello everyone, been lurking for a while and finally decided to post. I have lived in Florida all my life and can’t take the heat much longer. My youngest just started college a week ago and my wife and I are planning to move to a somewhat cooler place when he graduates. We just vacationed in Hayesville North Carolina and enjoyed it. Not quite as cool as I would have liked, but, much more pleasant than here. We waited until August just to see how hot it was there. It seems as though the same thing that has happened here has happened there and property is very expensive and it is growing fast.

I remember a post on here about Hinton West Virginia and started searching around that area (Summers County area) on the internet and it looks interesting. Real estate prices seem to still be somewhat reasonable. The western part of Virginia (below WV) looks interesting also. I check the temperatures in these areas several times a week and it seems like what I am looking for. I have been to both areas but only briefly. We visited Elkins WV last summer and liked it a lot, however I’m afraid it might be a little far north. Not to mention that my wife wants to be no further than a one day drive from the kids and someday grand kids. (somehow I don’t feel that old yet)

I’m looking for a fairly small laid back town with nice people. I’m would also like a place that is not growing fast or much at all. However, I don’t really want to be in a depressed area either. “Progress” has ruined my little town. I used to know almost everyone in town and now I almost feel like a stranger.

I would like to be within 20 miles or so from hospital. I know it sounds like I am trying to have everything, but, right now I am trying to find an area to investigate on our next vacation. I’m afraid if I don’t buy something fairly soon the prices will do like they have here and I won’t ever be able to. I would like to have about a hundred acres but the price will probably have something to say about that.

Any input or advice on any of my statements and questions would be greatly appreciated. Am I looking in the right area? Anyone in these areas and how much is decent land there? I see all kinds of prices but can’t tell much about the areas from the pictures.

Sorry for the long post and thanks
Hawkshaw