Thread: WV and Va property

WV and Va property

Hello everyone, been lurking for a while and finally decided to post. I have lived in Florida all my life and can’t take the heat much longer. My youngest just started college a week ago and my wife and I are planning to move to a somewhat cooler place when he graduates. We just vacationed in Hayesville North Carolina and enjoyed it. Not quite as cool as I would have liked, but, much more pleasant than here. We waited until August just to see how hot it was there. It seems as though the same thing that has happened here has happened there and property is very expensive and it is growing fast.

I remember a post on here about Hinton West Virginia and started searching around that area (Summers County area) on the internet and it looks interesting. Real estate prices seem to still be somewhat reasonable. The western part of Virginia (below WV) looks interesting also. I check the temperatures in these areas several times a week and it seems like what I am looking for. I have been to both areas but only briefly. We visited Elkins WV last summer and liked it a lot, however I’m afraid it might be a little far north. Not to mention that my wife wants to be no further than a one day drive from the kids and someday grand kids. (somehow I don’t feel that old yet)

I’m looking for a fairly small laid back town with nice people. I’m would also like a place that is not growing fast or much at all. However, I don’t really want to be in a depressed area either. “Progress” has ruined my little town. I used to know almost everyone in town and now I almost feel like a stranger.

I would like to be within 20 miles or so from hospital. I know it sounds like I am trying to have everything, but, right now I am trying to find an area to investigate on our next vacation. I’m afraid if I don’t buy something fairly soon the prices will do like they have here and I won’t ever be able to. I would like to have about a hundred acres but the price will probably have something to say about that.

Any input or advice on any of my statements and questions would be greatly appreciated. Am I looking in the right area? Anyone in these areas and how much is decent land there? I see all kinds of prices but can’t tell much about the areas from the pictures.

Sorry for the long post and thanks
    Hawkshaw

Re: WV and Va property

my wife wants to be no further than a one day drive from the kids and someday grand kids. (somehow I don’t feel that old yet)

Trying to keep close to the children may become a problem as they do relocate every now and then.

Egon

<font color="blue"> I have lived in Florida all my life and can’t take the heat much longer. </font color>

Let's hope you can take the cold. Places that are cool in the summer (i.e. In the mountains), are usually pretty darn cold and have lots of snow in the winter.

Good luck with your search. WV, VA, Western MD, all have locations that meet your temperature and rural requirements.

:: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Thanks for the replies. If the kids relocated that would be good as long as it is to their own place. Our new place will be very small and simple for two and temporary guests. Oh yea with a nice separate garage [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

As far as the cold I have always liked it. However, I have never lived in the extreme colds. I am trying not to go too awful cold though. That's why I am asking questions here. Is dealing with snow really that terrible or would it be a playground for my tractor.

Thanks

Now you will have to define playground!

I can definetly assure you that if you see extension cords on the front of all vehicles and office parking lots with plug ins you may be too far on the other side of warm [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Hello Hawkshaw. My husband and I live in West Central WV on rural acreage. Land prices here are generally around $ 1000 /acre or less, sometimes including a dwelling. One hundred acres can be had for under 100K but out of staters are driving the prices up slowly but surely. This area is nice if you like a quiet area that doesn't change too much yet it has everything one needs (unless it's a good job).

Summers are usually not too hot (a few days inthe 90's) and the winters are not too long or cold (Elkins in the mountains is considerably colder with longer winters). Where we live there may be a few inches of snow at a time with the occaisional larger storms. There can be a cold snap in Jan/Feb where it can hit zero or below but it doesn't last too long.

Hope this helps some.

Moosetracks

Not to rain on our parade but expectations of moving near your children to be in easy visiting range for grandkids etc. although a noble inspiration is a frequent source of frustration as our ever mobile society often requires job related moves.

It just isn't like the old days anymore. College educated folks working for companies that aren't small sole proprieter operations are extremely unlikely to have a permanent residence for 20 years.

I have seen many people express the desire to live close to the kids... but I have NOT seen it work out for very long, in recent years (decades?) You'd do better to establish a permanent residence in an area that is desireable enough so that THEY will want to visit you. Similarly, you might HELP them make your visits easier by funding RV hookups if they have a house with enough room and that fits your lifestyle.

Again, not to be too negative, maybe you'll be the exception to the trend and your situation will permit a long term short commute. Someone has to win the lottery. Of course sound financial planning doesn't usually include that.

Decent acreages are available in south central Oklahoma for about $700/ac. Sometimes significantly less, sometimes considerably more. It depends.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I would suggest a look at the Lewisburg WV area, its 25 miles east of Lexington VA and Interstate 81. Its right at the southern tip of Mononghalia National forest. Friends tell me of cool summers and not as harsh as the winters farther north in WV. Its a nice small historic town surrounded by farm country.

Clinch Valley of SW Virginia.
    Area between Bluefield (Interstate 77) and Bristol (Hwy 460).
    Clinch River starts in Tazewell, Va. and flows into Tenn.
    Tazewell/Bluefield/Princeton area has several hospitals, shopping malls, Walmart, etc.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Sorry I haven't checked here in a while. I thought the thread had died. Thanks for all the responses. I will start investigating the suggestions. It's hard to get the feel of a town in just a day or so, and hard to check many places in a week. Not sure when I will be able to go that way again, but, I am looking forward to it. Especially after the traffic I was in today. Everyone seems to be in a hurry except me. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] Oh well thanks again.