Thread: Question about having to reset pump

Question about having to reset pump

A couple of weeks ago, while I was watering and washing clothes, the pump went dead. When we went to look at the pressure tank, we noticed two reset buttons, pushed them, and the water came back online. I chalked it up to just overloading the system (had water going from two hoses, the swamp cooler and the washing machine) and didn't worry about it. Then this week, while watering outside again (with only one hose and no water use inside) it shut down two more times. Both times the reset buttons brought it back. I'm a bit worried now that this could be a symptom of something starting to go wrong with the pump, but I'm hopeful that it could indicate something simple like a relay.

This is a fairly new system (the pump at the place I used to live in made it over 20 years, and died 'all at once' with no warning) so I'm hoping that if there is a problem, it's something fairly simple and cheap.

Re: Question about having to reset pump

Put an amp meter on the leads and measure the current draw when the pumps running and check it against the pump's full load amps marked on the motor (if you can find that out). The control box may also list the FLA. Chances are the pump bearings are worn and your drawing too much amperage. Probably time for a new pump.

hmmmmm
    sinnce this is a new install I'm gonna ask where the two buttons are: on the pump starter circuit, the pressure switch or the pump itself.

If its the pressure switch, you may have a low pressure cut off type, and it may be that you have limited water or that the adjustments are a hair off. When I set mine off, the pressure would drop to almost 0 before the pump would cut in, and sometimes this would trigger the protection on the low pressure side. Easy to fix with a bit of fiddling the adjustments.

If its the pump or starter its probably a thermal or current overload as already mentioned. suggesting a bad pump (bearing or clogged impeller) or a bad controller. Is it a deep pump or a shallow one (i.e.. the pump in the well or out of it).

The pump shouldn't clog, but if it is all the way at the bottom of the well it could have sucked up a stone or grit or something.

If the install is new, isn't it under warranty?

I had a similar problem once. It turned out the insulation had rubbed off the wires where they entered the conduit from box sitting on top of well. Good drillers are not always good electricians. He fixed it somehow. It cropped up again and I fixed it myself with proper insulation, wiring and tape. But I have gone through a couple of capacitors in the process. It's simple work, but if you are not adept at electricity, get professonal help.

By the way, after going to two electrical outlets for the right capacitor, I wound up buying one from the local Ace hardware.