Thread: Where can I find a varible speed pump on line?

Where can I find a varible speed pump on line?

I'd like to convert my pressure tank system to a Varible speed pumping system.
    Hopefully I'll boost my water pressure!
    Does anyone know of a site to get the pump and other supplies online for a reasonable price?
    Thanks
    Bob

Re: Where can I find a varible speed pump on line?

Have you tried McMaster? Lots of things there, and I have been surprised at the low cost of shipping. Seems about half of other on-line companies.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/

Dear Scratch, I'm wondering why you would want a variable speed unit for home use? Is this strictly a booster setup, or is this pump going to be doing the whole job? Cities love the vari-drives because they can go strictly hydraulic and eliminate pressure tanks and overhead tanks; and save the space and the maintenance that usually goes with that type of system. The trade off is higher first cost and slightly more input energy over time. For home use, it's not exactly ideal since the PERCENT difference between low and high flow may be rather high. In cities they can clock off select units and then clock them back on during peak use periods to trim down the percentage. You wouldn't have that option with a single pump system. What ever you do, don't misunderstand my commentary; the variable speed drive is the best thing that ever happened to the pump business; since the delivery pressure of centrifugals varies as the square of the difference in speed; but it doesn't seem to have the same advantages to the homeowner that it does in municipal/industrial applications. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Let me explain my system.
    We have a large shared well about 3 properties over. Then there is a main line that gravity feed a secondary tank on the property next to mine opposite the well side.
    There are four houses that are supplied from that secondary tank. Each house has it's own booster pump that supplies their houses. Of the four houses that are on the secondary tank mine is the only one that is still using a pressure tank system. Everyone else is going to a varible speed pump system for more water pressure and maintainance.
    Being that my pump is on someone elses land I need to go over there every time I need to add pressure to the tank.
    My pressure tank is a bladderless type so about every two to three weeks I need to repressurize the system.
    I was told it would be about $500 -$800 to put in a new Bladder tank so I fugured I would just bite the bullet and go the varible speed route. Those that have gone the varible speed route have claimed much better water pressure. My water pressure is horrible but that might be my water softner.
    I'm new to the wells and just moved into this house. So I'm still figuring out how it all works. I've been without water twice from the darn thing freezing up. I need to address that also.
    Thanks
    Bob

Bob, Winter is coming. You might want to buy some heater tape and install it on all exposed plumbing in your setup. Get the thermostatic controlled ones and let them stay plugged in all the time and you'll not worry about forgetting to hook them up (like I did once.) You can also wrap them around the pump and tape them in blace to keep it from freezing in the early AM when no water is being used. An insulated box dropped over the pump/motor will help the tape do its job.

I can't comment on the variable pump as I have a bladder tank with a submerged (bottom of the well) pump.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"