Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! 200 Amp panel differences

HELP! 200 Amp panel differences

I have a question for the resident electrical experts.

I'm running a 400Amp service in my new house. 2, 200 amp panels.

I've seen 2 different square D panels (200 amp) one is 40 circuts with 30 spaces, the other is 40 circuts with 40 spaces.

I don't understand how the 30 space panel has the same amount of circuts. Are they double spaces? Which one should I use for maximum expansion, and size of the current job.... J [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: HELP! 200 Amp panel differences

You can buy double circuit breakers that will protect two circuits and take up a single space.

Either one you buy will provide 40 circuits, one way or another. The tandem breakers reqiured to make a 30/40 hold a full 40 circuits may be a little bit more expensive.

So, I can still hook up the same amount of outlets, and appliances with either panel? Would 30 space panel then have 30 places to put things because some are doubles anyway like a dryer, range, dishwasher, A/C....? There is no reason to get the 40 space/circut if I need to use doubles anyway over the 30 space /circut. Am I correct? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] ..J

You're confusing a double or two-pole breaker with a twin or tandem. A double breaker takes 2 spaces for a 220V circuit. A tandem takes up one space for 2 110V circuits. You can't get 220V out of a tandem breaker

If you fill a 30/40 circuit box with the allowable 10 tandems, you will end up with 40 handles/circuits. The first 20 are regular size breakers. The last 10 spots will have 10 tandems at 2 circuits each=40 circuits.

Inspector, I think I got it.

In your opinion which panel would I be better off with? I guess I can get a 30 amp breaker to cover my higher load stuff, and still have 79 spaces left if I go with the 40 circut/space panels. I plan on adding stuff in the future for my shop and possibly a pool

My electricl skill level ends with installing a simple fixture or ceiling fan. Thanks for the input...........J [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> I guess I can get a 30 amp breaker to cover my higher load stuff, and still have 79 spaces left </font color>

Since you think you'll have 79 spaces left....this must be a single pole 30 you're talking about. That is not going be very useful. Never put a 30A breaker on light/appliance circuits. Max 20A, but make sure you have run wire able to handle 20A.

I was thinking of using using the 30 amp for something higher load like a electric range. If I go with the 40 space and use the single pole breakers I theroretically can hook up 80 seperate circuts correct?.........J

No.....Max 40 in each panel. In the 40 circuit panel you can legally and safely put only 40 regular single pole breakers in it. In a 30/40 you can put 30 regular single poles or 20 regular and 10 tandems. Double poles are not tandems and tandems are not double poles. Go to your local electrical supplier or even your local (shudder) Home Depot/Lowes and look at a QO115 (single), QO230 (double) and QOT1515 (tandem). That way you'll see the difference.

The 40 circuit will not accept the tandems, unless you use the wrong ones, but lets not go there. The 30/40 will accept a maximum of 10 of the tandems.

The 30 for a range will be a double that takes up 2 spaces. Same for an electric dryer and water heater. The normal 110V circuits for lights, receptacles and appliances will take up 1 space.

Now that I've totally confused you [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Inspector, you got that right! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Now being totally confused, which one should I go with for maximum future expansion, and convienience??? Both are 40 circut.

I plan on powering my future shop from my house's main panel and installing a subpanel in the shop (down the road).

Am I better off having the capability to use tandems, or use the more expensive single breaker for higher outputs?????...J