Thread: School Business.

School Business.

I am brand new to homeschooling, but have taught public high school and middle school science for several years. I've wanted to homeschool for a long time, but until recently money considerations kept me working. Talk about a paradigm shift!

Our children are elementary age at this point, and I would like to use the land we live on to help them to develop a business of their choice to learn basic business principles, money management, and responsible citizenship. If this is something you do with your family, how do you go about doing it? How do I start?

Thanks,
    Yolanda

Re: School Business.

One way to approach it is to start your own business and let the kids help. We sell fruit and vegetables from a roadside stand and at several farmers markets. During the summer, my youngest boys sell lemonade at the farmers markets and one of my older boys helps my wife manage the market stand and also does some work on the farm.

All of the boys are learning how to deal with people, business basics and the discipline of getting up, showing up and being on time. The boys who sell lemonade pay for their materials and take home all of the profit, when they help with the market stand they are paid a percentage of gross sales, for farm work they get either a piece rate or hourly wage.

I agree with AndyF. Also, this would be a good time to introduce your kids to gardening and, if you have one, a tractor.
    "I hate lucky people, unless I happen to be the lucky person."- Cody Rehberg

Congratulations on your new life! You'll find it challenging and wonderful!

Here's a resource you'll want to check out:

http://www.familyebiz.com/dvdsalesletter.htm

I don't have personal experience with them, but I intend to, based on a recommendation from a trusted source:

http://www.biblicalwomanhoodonline.com/

Check out the "Earning from home" links on the left side.

Best wishes to you!