Thread: Anybody have a hobby-size greenhouse?

Anybody have a hobby-size greenhouse?

I'm thinking of getting one, perhaps 8x10 or so. I want something with a frame and polycarbonate panels, not the hoop-and-plastic-sheet type.

I've surfed around a bit, and it looks like kits will run right around $1000, which is too rich for my blood by half. I'll probably wind up building one.

Any tips on materials, techniques and sources would be appreciated.

Re: Anybody have a hobby-size greenhouse?

I was at Sam's the other day getting lifetime supplies of various things. They had a garden shed thing with greenhouse windows, skylights, built-in potting bench, etc. Pretty nice looking, though I bet you'd have to put it on a real solid base to keep it together. $1800. Too much for me, but it did make me wonder if the company makes pieces, like the sloping greenhouse window part and sells them separately.

Forgot to metion....it looks like one of theose Rubbermaid sheds, but different company. I mean, it is all molded plastic. It actually looked pretty neat.

Chuck

Faw,

We got this 8' x 6' greenhouse from Harbor Freight 2 years ago, works well and for $329 you can not go wrong.

web page

Wow, Tom. I normally don't have a high regard for Harbor Freight, but this is tempting. And you say it's done the job for you for 2 years? I don't think I could build one from scratch for much less. I am strongly considering getting one. Thanks for the reply to Paul.

Jazz,

Yes has worked real well for us. If you go to this web site you will see what folks have done with it. The directions leave a lot to be desired but this web site has tons of people that have one and can give you some help.

web page

I added an automatic opener to the top vent and added another vent next to the door to help control the heat in the summer. We use it from early March until late November. If you are really into it you can add heat and automatic water misting, see the web site above, some folks go all out.

I dug down about a foot and back filled with crushed stone and brick pavers. I used 6x6 RR ties for the base and screwed the greenhouse to the base RR ties. I also calked the plastic panels into place, the clips they use are not that geat.

Here is a thread from TBN back from 2001, but TonyC built a very nice greenhouse and has quite a few pictures of it as the thread progressed.

Greenhouse (From TBN)
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y