Thread: Firewood

Firewood

I have about 85 cords of firewood stored in my barn here in Alabama. I am wanting to sell it soon so that I can use my barn to store hay. Does anyone have any suggestions on selling it all at once?

Re: Firewood

Do you deliver to Eastern Missouri? Guess not.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Try calling somebody in the business. Sell it to them and then they can resell it to their clients.Of course you'll take less as wholesale compared to their retale.

What was the driving force behind getting that much firewood split and stored in the barn? Plans for selling to a particular market? That was a lot of work, and there must have been some motivating force.

What species is it? or mix of species? What length is it in, and what size across are the split pieces?

Why not sell it yourself? Obviously, the demand for firewood is a lot higher here in Maine than in Alabama, but I have sold about 100 cords of firewood since July.

I had a timber harvest done last year, under the direction of my forester, to thin out our woodlot. The timber cutter generally sells the firewood to a wholesaler and the laondowner gets very little for it (about $10 a cord). So I kept the 120 cords that were harvested. I bought a (slightly) used dump trailer and log splitter via EBay and went into the firewood business. When you ammortize all the costs out, you don't make great money but you have pretty good cashflow for several months and I've got a splitter and trailer out of it.

I to ,cut my firewood from a leftover timber harvest on my property. I am in the process of buying some cattle and would like to use the barn to store hay.