Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security for a weekend cabin?

Security for a weekend cabin?

My mother-in-law has a weekend getaway type cabin in the mountains, well off the beaten path. Sometime over the past few weeks, someone broke into it by smashing in a window. This happens every few years (so far).
    My question is this, what are some effective methods of securing a place like this? The lane has 2 locked gates, but 4-wheelers can get around that easily. Others have suggested an alarm system, but the first thing they did was cut the phone lines...and its not like anyone could respond to the location in time to do anything. I'm leaning towards roll up security doors that would appear "unobtrusive" (moreso than bars over the windows)...she doesn't want to ruin the "feel" of being out in the country...but this could get old real quick...

suggestions appreciated!

Re: Security for a weekend cabin?

Can be glad they break in when she is not there. That could be worse.

However, if they are going to the lengths of cutting the phone lines, they seem pretty serious.

Hunting friend of mine, after several hunting cabin break-ins, had a sign printed which said something to the effect that "security cameras are operating, and you are trespassing". Never had a break-in after that, but cannot say if it was due to the sign, or a sign of the times (who would want something from a hunting cabin anyway?).

Some indication of the type of person(s) doing this, could be drawn from what was stolen, or what was just ransacked. Hard to take large items on ATV's.

Its not pleasant to be in an area where thugs break into your home. But we have those that do, and we don't do much about them when they are caught. Protect the criminal but not the victim. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

In Europe, Germany in particular, I've seen security screens that roll up and down over the windows kind of like a tambor door. They are controlled from the inside by pulling on a cloth tape about 2" wide.

They may be more for storms rather than protection from break-ins.

How about hurricane shutter. These fit into a track and can be pushed back or removed when the cabin is occupied.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

well, i pity anyone that would try to do anything while she was there... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

it appears they were interupted "mid heist" as all electronic equipment was unhooked, but still in place...only things taken were a rifle and whiskey...

Gary...I'm on the same page...i told her it wouldn't stop someone he!! bent on getting in, but may be enough of a deterrent to make them look for easier prey. Do you have any links to places where this type of thing might be available?

Thanks...

Unfortunately some of the best solutions are illegal. Remember the guy whose unoccupied cabin/farmhouse was repetitively broken into by the same BOZO? The owner set up a shotgun aimed at knee height and nailed the BOZO. Should have aimed higher. The BOZO sued and won.. ruining the owner.

There is no unbreachable defense but making it harder will deter many problems. There are both electric and manually deployable hurricane shutters available from several sources. My searches mostly had hits in Florida. The expanding "X" shaped security barriers like stores use in not so wonderful neighborhoods would help and could be hidden be"hidden" behind a facade when not in use.

My house under construction (see Oklahoma Farmhouse thread in house building) uses interior storm shutters of steel which can be covered with cloth for decorative purposes in the master suite which is a saferoom.

Sturdy shutters such as you see in western movies on the insides of cabins could be added on and not violate the "country" atmosphere.

Good luck, I hope you find an acceptable solution.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Here's a link to something that looks similar http://www.awnings-shutters.com/featured_product.htm and here's another http://www.bestdefenseshutters.com/ . The second link looks alot like what I'd seen in Germany.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

mathey

For beenthere's sign of ""security cameras are operating, and you are trespassing", how about one of the hunting cameras that use motion to take a picture? My sign would say something like "tresspassers will be violated, survivors will be prosecuted".
    There are alarm systems with battery backup. Creates a heck of a noise but doesn't make any phone calls.
    Depending on the size of the place, is making storm windows out of lexan an option? Easy to see through but very difficult to break.

Most major alarm companies offer cell phone back up options so cutting the phone lines in and of itself can cause an alert. The problem with alarm systems and sirens is that in a remote location it is NOT effective.

Cameras are fine, maybe... but disuading the casual smash and grab artist only requires a modicum of "hardening." A determined B&E can get into nearly anything.

Note to Gary: There are a lot of window covers avail on pages out of Florida and some have good wind ratings, good for hurricanes anyway. Mostly useless for tornados.

If anyone is interested in useing Lexan or equivalent polycarbonate plastic be advised that you need to ensure you get some with really good UV spabilization as without it polycarb (Lexan) rapidly degrades when exposed to sunlight to the strength of regular Plexiglass. Not a good thing considering the extra cost.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

home in S. GA, cabin in the middle of 35 acres in WNC mountains

I have the same type situation with a cabin in the mountains, fairly remote. Everytime I go up I expect to find it broken in. Been lucky so far but the prior owner did have a burglary once.

My experience (law enforcement) is that in a remote area the more you do to stop it, the more you will have to repair later. If they can't get in, they could do worse and burn it down. The idea of a security camera is a good one and we had good luck in one case where a wildlife camera had been covertly installed. They work very well, but they only help catch who did it.

What seems to work around here is a couple of homemade looking signs stating: "WARNING! STEEL TRAPS!". Seems to scare off most trespassers.