Thread: lilacks and such, landscaping questions

lilacks and such, landscaping questions

I know that you can put pussy willow and forsythia clippings in water and they will root. I have been doing this to try to populate the huge amount of borders to my yard which astoundingly have had nothing done with them in the 50 years since the house was built. I love lilacs and there are some nearby that I was thinking of clipping in an attempt to make them grow in water. I cannot afford to spend the money necessary to decorate my yard with lots of plants, but I have access to a lot of land that my neighbor has, and he doesn't mind if I clip some of this and dig a little wee bit of that. Any suggestions for what i could look for out in the woods. Also, do ferns come back each year?
    Thanks all!
    [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: lilacks and such, landscaping questions

I remember the ferns in my parents yard coming back every year. I can't be sure but I think I remember my mother starting new lilacs from cuttings.

Don't know about Lilac shoots but do know they transplant well and sucker well. A very hardy plant.

Egon

There are a couple of different kinds of Lilacs. The common ones we usually see will grow a lot of suckers and are easily moved from place to place. There are also non-suckering Lilacs. I have 2 such bushes at the cabin. They've been in the ground for about 10 years and haven't suckered yet.
    For the common kind, I'd just dig some suckers and transplant.

Steve

YOU CAN SLICE A SOFT/NEW WOODED BRANCH HANGING CLOSE TO THE GROUND EXPOSING INNER PART OF BRANCH
    THEN BURY UNDER AN INCH OF SOIL WHILE STILL ATTACHED TO MOTHER PLANT WAIT FOR IT TO GROW ROOTS THEN CUT AND TRANSPLANT
    I WILL CHECK MY PROPAGATION BOOK FOR LILAC AS SOON AS I FIND IT
    YOU CAN ALSO ORDER MANY LILACS BARE ROOT AT LOW COST DO A GOOGLE SEARCH