</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The establishment of teaching schools and state certification has, by implication, led the parents of today believe that when it comes to their child's education, they are inferior to those that are formally trained, leading them to leave education to the professionals, when in fact the opposite has shown to be true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yoblonda, I think you draw too narrow a definition for 'education'. The school system has the children for less than 50% of their waking hours. So more than 50% of the 'education' takes place outside of schools. By their education and certification, teachers are better equipped to further the childrens education in reading, writing, and 'rithmatic (and history, science, etc). But the other 'education' of the children in subjects like honesty, personal relations/interactions, values, work ethic, etc have the potential to be much more influenced by parents (and families) than the schools. But it is harder for parents &amp; families today. Often both parents work and then have limited time/energy after they get home.

My point is, that parents still have the major responsibility for much of their childrens education. I do not believe their is a great conspiracy to seperate parents from children. Many parents do that on their own. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]