Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pruning/topping trees

Pruning/topping trees

Hey everyone,
    The land where my house is was cleared out of a wooded area about 15 years ago.
    I have several maple trees in my yard that are very tall (avg. of probably 60') with only a plume of branches at the very top.
    I would like to top these trees, reducing to maybe 1/2 of their original height.
    Can you tell me the best way to do this to get branches to re-grow at/near the top of the new height?
    What's the best time of year to do it?
    Does it matter what height I cut off at?
    I heard that after cutting to desired height, use a hatchet or pickaxe and hit into the trunk, which will create the location for the new branches. Is this correct? How many and how far from the top should I do this?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Brian

Re: Pruning/topping trees

Do a Google search for topping trees you will get more info than you want. The general idea is that it is bad idea.

As a past arborist (tree surgeon) back in my college days, I'll offer some advice. The recommended way to reduce tree height is by "drop crotch" pruning, not topping.

Topping is essentially cutting the tree leaders back to a height indiscriminately. Drop crotch pruning involves going down the leader to a suitable crotch and removing the leader. This will leave a secondary leader (or branch) that will then become the main leader over time.

The tip of a branch has what's called a "terminal bud". When the terminal bud's pruned off, the other buds along that branch turn on creating increased side branching. Pine trees or Xmas trees are a great example. When you prune the pale green buds on the end of the pine branches in the spring, the branch will then send out side branches creating thicker branching (desireable for Xmas trees).

When you do the drop crotch pruning, your essentially doing the same thing, removing the terminal bud. The smaller branches should increase in growth rate.

Never heard of the ax trick. The only thing that would probably encourage is sucker growth.

Thanks jimbrown. I'll do that. In the meantime, I'm going to throw out my thoughts/plans using an actual tree as an example.

gsganzer (and all).
    First, I'm good at cutting down trees but once we go beyond words like fell, chainsaw and firewood, my terminology is probably wrong but I'll describe as best I can.

In the center of the attached picture (in line with right window of neighbors house) is one of the trees I want to do something with. The main crotch is about 3' off the ground. The 1/2 of the tree snapped off in a storm last spring and down about 15', a nice bushy new branch came out. Is this what you'd call a "sucker".

Looking at the other 1/2 that's still standing, there's not a single branch until a height of 40' or so.

My plan was to cut both halves off at a height of about 20' (right above the new branch), let sit until spring and see what pops up. (or help with that axe trick but don't know if that works). What do you all think it'll be? 20' stumps or will it start new branches?

Thanks

??? Pic didn't attach. Let's try again

I'd just cut down the tree on the right. If it split and broke, then it probably has a significant wound that will only rot in time. Cut it down and plant a new tree. Any low growth you get is only sucker growth and won't amount to anything.

gsganzer,
    Sorry if I'm not getting this. Which tree are you referring to as being the "one on the right"?

I was going to cut off about 20' below where it snapped off which would leave about 20' standing. At 20' up, will I get more branches growing (like and including the one that started last year) or will it end up looking scrappy (which if I'm understanding "sucker growth" correctly, it's what I see growing out of the bases of cherry tree stumps)?

Brian

The tree in line with the right window's the one I was referring to. If you cut it 20' feet up, you'll only get sucker growth. Cut it down and start over.

Thanks gsganzer.
    Down it will go.

AFter it comes down, to me the most important thing is putting a tree back that will fill your desires properly in relation to pruning and such.

"Right tool for the right job" is a good saying and just as imprtantly "Right, plant in the right place"