Thread: Heroes in Blue and Gray

Hybrid View

Heroes in Blue and Gray

We locals have all seen them. They range in age from eighteen to seventy, and they wear the colors of the social outcast. In our area, those colors are the gray over blue of the incarcerated...the 'paying their dues', and 'serving their time' inmates of the Hardee County prison system.

We've seen them on the sides of the roads in calmer times, cleaning out ditches, or digging said ditches...laying down sod or patching holes in the pavement. Yes, we've seen them, and paid little attention to them as they bided their time waiting for their sentences to run out so that they could hopefully return to a normal, law-abiding life.

After Hurricane Charley blew through, Hardee County Correctional Institution inmates were out in record numbers. They stood in the heat, handing out ice and water. They helped remove trees from homes and methodically worked long hours dragging debris away. We approached them for emergency supplies with a mixture of relief and gratitude... tinged with the wary respect with which one regards a potentially dangerous snake.

There was no way to know what these men were convicted of; how long they'd been in prison or how long it took them to regain the trust of correctional officials to the point that they were allowed back into society during a time when law enforcement was stretched to the point of breaking.

It was in the week following the hurricane that my daughter and I set out to bring cold drinks to the road, tree removal and power crews. It was also a time when we single-handedly but innocently, added years to the life of a lone deputy that had been put in charge of managing a tree crew comprised of nine prison inmates.

It was break time for all but one inmate who was finishing cleaning up his allotted section of a yard in downtown Wauchula. Eight of the nine inmates were seated under one of the few remaining trees, resting. The deputy had one eye on the man who was still working, and one on the seated group, when we pulled up.

It never once occurred to me that this could be a possibly volatile situation; two females in a running vehicle approaching several male inmates under the supervision of only one deputy, who based on the wrinkle-free face visible under mirrored sunglasses, may have been a rookie to boot.

"You guys want some cold orange juice?' I asked, as we sat on the side of the road, the engine idling.

"Oh man! I'd just about ki...uh, do anything for some cold o.j.!" Responded one young man.

!

Almost as one, the entire group shot to their feet and headed for the jeep. I STILL didn't think anything of it. These men were responding to an offer, one that was apparently too good to pass up and it never dawned on me what effect this sudden change in the routine of the inmates was going to have on the deputy.

I can only imagine what must have passed through his mind when, as he turned for a quick check, he saw the eight inmates jump up and pratically run toward the road, each wanting to be the first to recieve a cold drink.

"Hey! HEY!!" He shouted, and turned. His hand shot to his side and he retrieved his pistol.

"Stop, NOW!" He yelled. 'Miller, get your a** back under that da**ed tree!"

I took it that Miller was the guy out in front as he stopped on a dime, causing the guys behind him to stack up like so many bowling pins. It was then I realized what we had done!

The inmates returned to their seated positions and a very angry and upset deputy approached the jeep.

"Ladies, I can't begin to tell you..." He shook his head and let out a long shaky sigh. "That was a very dangerous...do you have any idea what?....you just don't DO that...!" He replaced his pistol and sighed again.

"I am so sorry." I responded, on the verge of tears. "I didn't think...I mean, we just wanted to help." I didn't know what to say, I felt so stupid.

"Aww...c'mon boss!" Said Miller. "You're making the lady feel bad."

"And you should by-God know better, Miller! You're lucky I didn't..!" The deputy turned on Miller and then I felt bad for him as well.

'Ah he**, we weren't gonna do nuthin'...just get some juice." Said another inmate, as he sat in the grass, sweat trickling down his face in little rivers. About this time, the man who was still working realized what was going on and tossed down his rake.

"I want some juice, too!" He declared, reminding me for all the world of a third grade boy who fears he's about to be left out of something special. He hitched up his pants and crossed the yard and seated himself in the group, clearly determined not to be left out.

Trying to salvage some vestige of our purpose, I smiled tentatively at the deputy.

"How...ummm, how many do you need?"

"Nine, I guess." He said and appointed one man to come and take the bottles of juice.

I handed over the bottles.

"What about you?" I asked.

"I don't mind if I do." He said and grinned. I handed him two bottles.

"Here's one for now and one for later. For what we put you through." I winked, trying to buy forgiveness with cold orange juice.

"Aww.. don't worry about it. These are pretty good men. They just kind of scared me a little bit, that's all."

"Well thank you, for not being mad." I turned my attention to the inmates, who were busily opening the juice bottles. "And thank you guys...for helping."

There was a stunned silence and then I was rewarded with a sea of sheepish smiles and embarrassed faces.

"Aww...it ain't nuthin'!" Someone said, amidst gentle chuckling.

We pulled away, on to our next pit stop, but not before I heard the deputy clear his throat.

"All right boys, we're gonna talk about interaction with volunteers and how to handle these situations in case this happens again. Never...EVER, approach the road, or a vehicle... I don't care if they're giving out champagne and caviar...!"

Jillian and I looked at each other and before I knew what was happening I was giggling nervously. Jill, on the other hand was out-right braying like a mule, which proved to be contagious as before I knew it we were both laughing so hard there were tears streaming down our faces.

From that point forward, when we came across an inmate crew, we got the attention of the deputy first. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: Heroes in Blue and Gray

Cindi, you get yourself into more crazy situations than anyone I know!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] If you're not face to face with a charging crazed boar, you're inciting heat crazed chain gangs!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] When we first became friends, I used to worry about you all the time!! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Now I realize that this is the way your whole life has been, and you obviously have some sort of guardian angel looking over you!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] And I'm sure thankfull for that, my good friend!!!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Re: Heroes in Blue and Gray

You know what, I have had that thought many times.

Sombody somewhere up there is watching out for me.

That's better than thinking that somebody somewhere up there is setting me up! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I think...that I have a lot to learn in this life.