Thread: hunting, and wildlife questions for Missouri

hunting, and wildlife questions for Missouri

Howdy, I'm moving to Forsyth, MO. (from Nevada) in less than two months and am trying to find out as much info. as I possibly can...so please put up with me [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] ?
    I am hoping to find out what hunting seasons are when, and if there is any game that can be hunted/trapped year round?
    Was also hoping someone could tell me what snakes (besides rattlers) that I can expect to find in the area?
    Thanks in advance [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Hillbillycowgirl
    Just show me to the cross and I'll find my way home.

Re: hunting, and wildlife questions for Missouri

hillbillycowgirl, Add the hognosed snake to the venomous list. A lot of sources say they are non-venomous but 'taint so. They don't have folding fangs up front like a viper but can envenomate you if you get a body part in the back of their mouth. It may not be lethal for a healthy adult but it can make you sick.

This info is not widely circulated but true. A herpetologist we know casually was "playing" with a hognose and now can attest to the effects of the venom.

They will not envenomate you by "striking" like a viper but you should use caution when handling. they are exciting to mess with as they first do their cobra act then if you are not impressed they may roll over and play dead. If you pick them up and turn them right side up they will "blow" their act and go belly up again.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Well, welcome to the Ozarks, "God's Country". I grew up in Springfield after my Dad retired from the Army and we still have cousins in eastern Taney County. We hunted together around Protem. Add copperheads to your list of snakes. As far as year round hunting, squirrels season is nearly year round, and all the other seasons are shorter, as I recall. Mark Twain National Forest offers good deer hunting in season. Things have changed substantially in that area (lots of folks moving into the county), but Forsyth is still closer to what it was twenty years ago, with much less development than the Branson area. Just let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer. I haven't been in the area that much in the past several years, but my sister and brother in law live in Rogersville and make frequent trips down that way.

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thank you all so much for the information and the welcome .
    Just show me to the cross and I'll find my way home.

hillbillycowgirl,
    I'll be leaving Reno NV at the end of this month moving back to the Lebanon MO area. The hunting there is one of the things that totally sold me on retiring to that area myself. The other is the people themselves. Don't think I've ever met friendlier people in my life and I've lived all over the world. I think you're gonna love it! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]