Thread: Marshmallows

Marshmallows

We had a Birthday party for my 7 yr. old this past weekend.
    One of the games for the kids was to assemble some blow guns (made of PVC) and then shoot mini-marshmallows out of them. They had a lot of fun! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Well... next day clean-up. There's approximately (the kids obviously ate some) 6000 of these little marshmallows all over the yard. Due to people walking on them followed by the morning dew, they've become mushy and can't be picked up using any type of device I can think of. (I was able to vacuum them up off concrete areas).
    So, I figure they're going to stay. Too many for the varmints to eat but I'm afraid they're going to come... and lots of them. The only thing I'm seeing during the days so far is bees, and lots of them.
    My question is how long before they disappear?
    Will rain do it?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong spot but have no idea where to put something like this.

Re: Marshmallows

LOL [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I did the same thing with my boys a few weeks back. I figured it would be ant city but after a rain all was gone. Marshmallows don't hold up well to water [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Thanks Rob!!! Good to hear that a rain will take care of it.
    It's currently raining nice and hard 20 miles away but it looks like it's going to miss us.

Be honest, did you join in? Some of the smaller kids couldn't blow with enough force so they got frustrated. The parents had huge smiles on their faces when the could get their hands on one and join in. I actually had to go get some spare parts so we could make more. Ended up with rifle versions and all kinds of derivations. Someone made a semi-auto out of it. Hadn't seen how but he could load about 10 inside and control whereby only 1 or 2 would come out at a time.

Brian

<font color="blue">Be honest, did you join in </font color>

Of course I joined in!!! What a hoot. A friend at work showed me the weaponry and I was off to Home Depot that night. About $5 in PVC got us several shooters. My youngest son was having trouble blowing hard enough but he got the hang of it. I need to remember to take them on our next camping trip [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

One of us should post in the projects forum. My wife has the template and parts list. If I can find it, I'll do it but if you want, feel free to do so.

It was the best activity of the whole party.

I'd like to see one of these *weapons*. I assume it's more than just a tube, like a pea shooter?
    Post a pic or diagram.

If you've got something documented go for it. Mine were made strictly from memory after looking at the one my friend had.

A teaser for those interested...

It's nothing more than some short lengths of 1/2 PVC, a couple of Tees, some Elbows and Caps. I don't think any of the dimensions are particularly critical. When all is said and done, you load a mini-marshmallow into the mouthpiece and give it a good puff of air. It's kind of amazing how far the things will shoot and of course, there is no danger to hurting anyone in the line of fire [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

I just posted a picture, assembly... in the "crafts" forum.

All this makes me wonder, how these "marshmallows" shoot compared to a real marsh mallow. Now they're just made of sugar. Originally, they were made using cooked down parts of the mallow plant.

Wonder if the taste was different? Anyone ever had a real marsh "Mallow"?