Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Two coyotes attacked my fat border collie tonight. Advice please!

Re: Two coyotes attacked my fat border collie toni

Howdy im a newbie on the site......

My advice is that this person needs TWO dogs.

We have both wolves and coyotes were we live...they will co-exist.

Two dogs are enough noise and activity to thwart dang near any advance from a wild critter. Only exception in my experience would be sickness like rabies....

As far as shooting them, you get about one chance most the time, kill them first shot, they dissapear after that.

Cool site

<font color="red">Two dogs are enough noise and activity to thwart dang near any advance from a wild critter. Only exception in my experience would be sickness like rabies....
    </font color>

This simply is not true unfortunately. The coyotes around us regularly come right up to the doors of our house and fight with the dogs. I have been woken up more times than I care to count to the dogs going crazy and a pack of coyotes just trying to draw them away from the house. On a clear night with the moon you can just watch them. They will send one to the house to bait the dogs and there will be five or six about a hundred yards off just stalking them.

I have sat and watched before as a pack will try and get a cow and calf away from the herd. The dog or the cow will take after one leaving the calf exposed and if they are away from the herd the other coyotes will move in and try and take the calf. We have a large enough herd that they usually can't get them before a bull or another mama sees them and charges after them.

The dogs do not threaten the coyotes in anyway unfortunately. I have a gun at every door in my house. This winter I've killed 12 of them just from the doorways of my house. Two days ago I was headed out the front door and two of them were trotting down my driveway. They were so NOT afraid of me that they just turned and looked at and stood there about 30 yards away. I ran back up to the house and grabbed the gun inside the door and shot both of them. The first one just looked at me and never moved. The second one took off when I shot the first one and I got him about 150 yards away.

The problem here is seeing them. Oh you can hear em but you can't shoot what you can't see and they seem to be real smart at staying hid. We have tried electronic calls at night with a spotlight which is illegal BTW but I really don't care about that, it just doesnt work very well. They tend to come near but not out in the open. I have set live traps and caught foxes ,coons, possum, and even a bobcat but no coyote. I have heard thatyou can tie a piece of fishing line up about head high on a small limb with a stainless steel fish hook tied to the other end with a piece of meat on the hook and theyll jump up, grab meat, and be hanging there for you to shoot the next morning. I have been tempted to try it but I'm afraid of catching someones pet dog or hunting dog in it. I'm all for killing them regardless of the method, just don't see to many to try and shoot

We must have shy coyotes, [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] You can hear them often, see them in a deerstand now and then but if they see you they dissapear. Fact is ive seen more timber wolves than coyotes and both of them live species live here. My neighbor took a coyote off the edge of my hayfield with a bow last year. It was eaten up with mange, can that stuff end up on a dog or cat?

I also have a fat black lab that can eat an entire rabbit in a few bites. Sometimes I find coyoties out at my place. I take shoots at them. They are mostly out in the early morning and at dusk. I have found three things that work besides a head shot. Go outside and shoot off a few rounds when they are calling out, walk around at these times and make your presence know. I also go around my yard and fence line and take a leak. It lets them know that this is marked territory. Paps Blue Ribbon can last for weeks on a fence. I also set up a radio and play it at night if they are coming around a lot. It throws them off and covers any noice I make getting outside.
    I have 6 acres in Colorado and plan on raising some butcher cows for meat and have a few horses

Did I mention that my lab is fat.
    I have 6 acres in Colorado and plan on raising some butcher cows for meat and have a few horses

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Paps Blue Ribbon can last for weeks on a fence

[/ QUOTE ]

PBR would last forever at my place [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Keep time of PBR changes after "certain" natural processing.

In 6-7 years I have seen exactly 2 live coyotes on my property (160 acres.) One was several hundred yds away and seemed to see me but then trotted out of sight into cover. The other was just walking through tall grass on a converging course with me and a bud. I saw it first and it was several seconds later when our converging course brought us to within 25 feet of each other before the coyote looked my way and then he shifted gears to "lope" not dead run, just lope and eventully was out of sight in the tall grass. I shoot beaver and armadillo (at least I try) on sight, when able, but coyotes haven't done anything to me that I know of so I didn't WHUP OUT MY .45 and drop Wiley.

I like to listen to Wiley and his choir, them along with the bull frogs (that I used to shoot by the dozen for food) and bob white quail which I like to hear (and used to shoot.)

I have no problem with folks who have an actual problem with coyotes doing whatever is required to solve the problem, I just don't happen to have a problem with coyotes, yet. Later when I establish ducks and geese in the ponds nearest the house we'll see how this TRUCE lasts.

Oh, by the way... Stray dogs and pet dogs allowed to roam will pack up and do much more damage to cattle and calving cows than coyotes. The typical response to a dog wandering into a pasture around here, if noticed, is a bullet.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

last week we were at the farm camping, doing farm work, i went out to the truck after dark to get somthing out shined the light had 5 sets of eyes looking at me! not far from the camper. thought at first they were deer, got doug to come out and ck it out. usally by the time the camper door slams the deer are gone but these glowing eyes were still there,setting in a line on the hill side one was taller. had a crappie light and no shot gun.. doug fired of a round in the air w/ the 9mm which is very loud. they just blinked and set right there.. ok now im freaked out a little bit! i figured they would run.. he shot in there direction, the big one went some where, but 4 still stay right there after a couple rounds they went back up in the woods. next day we came home and got something with a little more kick and longer range. we have one of our highland cows getting ready to have a baby in the next month.. DNR told us to shot every one we see. i dont want them sneaking around near us or our cows.. camping has just became a little creepie! LOL Rose [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Rose, You neglected to drop the other shoe... So what critters were they or do you actually know? Typically we have more problems with pet dogs packing up and getting after stock. Not much problem with coyotes although a lot of folks blame them for the results they see when it was dogs.

Feral pigs (not Federal!) have been sighted near here for some time but mostly south of the South Canadian river in our area (Over a mile away.) Now they are north of the river and signs have been spotted all around us so no doubt we have or will soon have pigs to deal with. With luck maybe the mountain lions will eat some.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"