Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Two coyotes attacked my fat border collie tonight. Advice please!

Re: Two coyotes attacked my fat border collie tonight. Advice please!

I have shot and killed coyotes with a 22, 22mag., buckshot,
    and my .270. I will grab the first thing in reach when I see one because I think they are a useless animal. I kill every one I see. I have a 22mag with a laser sight I use to shoot stray cats. I kill every one of those I see too. Coyotes were first seen in this area about 10 years ago and rumor has it that local fox hunters brought them in here to let their dogs run them. I believe the government released them in the lower counties of S.C. and parts of GA. for the control of deer population. Over the years they have raised and spread throughout the states. I have goats but my Great Pyranes keeps them guarded well but coyotes destroyed my watermelons and they have killed a few local newborn calves. Stray cats are useless animals also. They destroy quail, rabbits, and have no significant use to me at all. I don't mind buying rat poison for rats. I have a cat in the house that never goes outside, she's fairly useless but the wife sure loves her. I have shot deer with a 22magnum and killed them but I don't reccomend it because theres a big chance of it runing off and dying. I shot one or two in the head from my back porch and spine shot one once that I had to finish off in the head. My weapon of choice is the .270. Have made 300 yard deer kills and the coyotes don't usually have a chance either. .243 works really nice on deer and coyotes too and 30-06 or .300 mag. if you prefer will blast em away. Whatever you use please just kill em. My coon dogs treed the other night on the backside of a pasture, by the time we got to them the coyotes had faught them off the tree. I use tracking collars on my coon dogs and keep them tied or kenneled. I have a lot of animals that stay on my property and if they get loose and cause damage I take care of it. If a cat comes on my property that I don't know who it belongs to I take care of it also. If a hawk starts eating my chickens I take care of it too. I'm not an animal hater but I don't mind extinguishing useless varmints. This is merely my opinion, everyone has their own and I respect that. I don't wish to offend anyone whatsoever.

Re: Two coyotes attacked my fat border collie tonight. Advice please!

I'm not offended. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Re: Two coyotes attacked my fat border collie toni

Its funny that this thread bounced back up.

About a month ago I heard some weird yelping noises most of the night. It ranged from the road up close to the house. It sounded like a wounded goose for want of a better discription. But we dont see geese around here. At one point I walked out on the porch with the dog. In the house she was not even stirring. Once out of the porch she started barking. And it was not a friendly bark.

I have heard the yelping off and on but not like the first time. Seems to start around midnight. And its always on the south side of the house.

Two weeks ago I walked out on the front porch with my daughter as we headed off to work and school. I heard/sensed something and looked to my right which is the south side of the house. Bounding along is a coyote. He saw us and troted off into the woods heading south. The coyote stopped once in the wood line. I took a couple steps back and motioned for my wife to come out. She stepped out of the front door and at the point the coyote ran off further into the woods to the south.

Since then I have heard the yelping, never howling, a couple of nights a week. Always on the south side of the house and around midnight.

I noticed at the start of hunting season that some of the young/small fawns had disappeared. It was hard to believe that a hunter would waste a round on the deer since they where so small. Me thinks they did not.

The problem with the coyote(s) is that they have come within 100 feet of the house. My kids play outside on the porch and in the yard. Their playset if farther away than 100 feet and pushed into the woods. My GSD has been behaving strangely at times, running from one side of the house to the other. She has not done this before. We have three sets of French doors with glass so she can see out of the house. We think the coyotes have been moving around the house. I am not sure but I think a coyote marked its territory in some gravel about 20 feet from the house.

The rifle is now ready to go. NC does not have a closed season on coyotes. Its a shame they have to go but they are too close to the house. If it was just me and my dog I would not worry about them. The dog could easily handle one or two of them and she is always around me in any case. But my kids are too small to not worry about the coyote(s).

I guess I'll call the WRC and see if I can legally light the coyote(s) at night and shoot them.

Later,
    Dan

Thats the whole thing, its the kids. I mean, I don't want them getting my livestock or dog, but the real fear is the kids and how not scared they are of people. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

all they are doing is teaching their pups. and i have come face to face with one and im not sure but i don't belive they will go after kids UNLESS they are short on food, they feel threated for themselves or they pups, or are very sick, and feel cornered. now im not sure about this but i belive that is the main reasons they attack children

Dan, when we lived 60 miles south of Dallas, across the road from our place was all Corps of Engineers property around Navarro Mills Lake and was heavily wooded. At night we heard more of the coyotes yelping than we did of howling.

buck and opie,

If it was not for the kids Wiley could stay. If Wiley stayed away from the house maybe Wiley could stay. With the kids wanting to play outside and Wiley getting within sight of the house as well as not really running off when he saw us means Wiley has got to go. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

My dog is wherever I am when I'm at home. If I am inside she is inside. If I'm out working she is out with me. I'm not worried about her since I think she could hold her own with one or maybe two coyotes. And I know me and she can hold our own against a bunch of coyotes. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

But my kids can't. Wiley has got to go.

Next visit my dad will bring up one of his calls. I just got a DR Mower to help push the undergrowth away from the house and this has bumped up in priority on the south side of the house. Also the undergrowth near the playset has to go. I want to see if Wiley is trying to sneak in. In NC there is not closed season on coyotes. I need to call and see if I can shoot them at night and shine 'em.

I really would just like to leave 'em alone but its too risky for the kids.....

Later,
    Dan

Bird,

If my neighbor's hear me, the nearest is maybe 2000 feet away, they are going to think I'm nuts. But I'm going to go outside one night with the dog and see what happens if we both start howling. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I a curious if the coyotes) will howl back. Course they might run it to see what is up which might work to my advantage as well. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Later,
    Dan

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    In NC there is not closed season on coyotes. I need to call and see if I can shoot them at night and shine 'em

[/ QUOTE ]

Let us know what you find out. I'm not sure, but I think since they're considered varmints instead of game, you can dispose of coyotes and feral hogs any way any time. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

dm i understand what your saying i would be among the first to shoot one of them mostly due to having livestock around(sheep)