Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why can't I buy a 60/80 pressure tank.

Re: Why can\'t I buy a 60/80 pressure tank

Actually there is no good reason I can think of for putting 2 or more bladder tanks in series. Placing the tanks in series may cause the pump to repetitively short cyle. Placing them in parallel will work OK. I got quite a lecture on this topic from an engineer at a sumersible pump manufacturer when I was exploring alternatives for my well/water distribution system.

Placing tanks in series or parallel will not increase your pressure, just the volume you can draw before lowering the pressure to the pumps cut in pressure. A booster pump will increase your pressure IF it doesn't, over time, outrun your well's production rate. If you don't have a problem supplying the volume you are interested in but just need more pressure then the booster pupm is a good choice.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

One possible reason not to have 2 or more tanks is pump run time. It would have to run longer and may not be designed for lengthy running.

Harry K

Ok.. so it sounds like a resonable size tank would keep a good volume of water (assuming my drilled well comes in with a good amount of GPM)

But it seems like 4 hundred bucks would be well spent at harbor freight to boost up from 40 to 60psi.. to up around 60 to 80.

Not quite "hotel water pressure" (I travel a lot and a REAL good shower at a high quality hotel is one of the few things I wish I had at home) but as close as I will get.

JP

With submersible pumps there isn't much of a heating problem and in general long run times with a big tank are easier on the pump that lots of short runs. The number of starts is important to pump life as a start is as wearing as a considrable run. Even with small tanks, water usage at a fairly high rate over a protracted time results in a long pump run unless the pump has an extremelly high GPM rating.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Why can\'t I buy a 60/80 pressure tank (long)

I think you are already know this and are planning on it, but you really need 3/4" lines feeding the 1/2" lines that run to individual faucets, etc.

You should have a pressure stem on your tank, you might check that the pressure in the tank is set about 2 pounds less than the pump cut in pressure. So if your pump turns on at 30 psi, your tank needs to be at 28 psi.

If your tank is filling back up in 10 seconds or less, it sounds like there is not enough pressure in the tank, or the tank is way undersized.

Re: Why can\'t I buy a 60/80 pressure tank.

Dear Mystic Coke, [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I am surprised that none of the readers and posters to this informative thread have commented on the very short "fill" time that you have listed in your initial post. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] TEN SECONDS is way too short for a normal pump-up time, [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] and one of two things is wrong: the tank air charge is not correct, [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] or the tank is hopelessly undersized. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Good pressure and delivery depends on the HYDRO-PNEUMATIC aspect of the water system being perfectly designed. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It sounds like you have the HYDRO part right; with good pumping volume and head; but the PNEUMATIC part isn't working for you. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] SOMEHOW you need to increase the "squish" area in your system, by adjusting the air volume in the bladder tank or adding a second tank. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Machinery is nice to look at, and machinery WILL overcome some of the problems associated with low delivery pressures, [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] but there is actually no substitute for a BIG FAT tank. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

I think you are right on (but it was mentioned a couple times, the first being the 3rd poster and once later). Hope it was resolved without too much expense buying additional equipment. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Beenthere is correct. It has been mentioned several times not including yours. I do agree that the more or larger pressure tank(s) you have the better. As mentioned, be sure your "precharge" pressure is correct. Again, that is about 2 pounds under your cut in pressure which you can determine yourself with a pressure gauge. I find it easiest to turn the power off, open a faucet and go to the pump controls and listen for the click of the cut in relay. Note the pressure at that point. A small air compressor with a schrader fill valve is all thats needed, its the same you use to fill your tires. The importance of the precharge is to help in the longevity of the bladder.

PS How could you install pressure tanks in series? There is only one opening. I can only think of one way to install them and that is in parallel.