Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chloroform in the water well

Re: chloroform in the water well

If they didn't run a sufficient quantity of water between tests then repeating the tests would not disclose the difference between a transient contamination such as from super-chlorination to shock the well and kill out any pathogens and a well that is tapping into contaminated water. If all 3 wells were shocked then all three could have transient levels of chloroform that are not indicative of a long term problem.

Said another way... You don't have enough information to make an informed decision. Irrespective of the number of times a test is repeated, if the protocol is wrong the tests can be inconclusive. Testing a well over and over in a short period of time with insuficient water having been purged from the well between tests is not particulary useful for the determination you are trying to make.

I don't think the levels of contamination should pose a bio-hazard if you run some well water on the surface. L_O_N_G_term exposure (drinking the water daily) could pose a helath risk. There is no wide spread agreement on how much is OK. I personally think there are combinatorial effects related to other contaminates in your environment-food-air plus differences in individual chemical makeup so what may be tolerated by one individual may be many times more risky for another. Less is better, usually.

For peace of mind you might want to check the liability-legal issue regarding running known contaminated water out on the surface. The local extensiion agent might have a clue.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

New update:
    I just got an email from my realtor saying that he misunderstood the seller’s realtor. She said coliform and not chloroform. He blamed it on the Texas accent; well if you’re gonna live in Texas you gotta speak our language [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .
    He said that the seller is going to chlorinate the well and it will be drinkable. I haven’t researched coliform yet, but that is my next task. The well will be retested after the test as well.

Administrator

Yo Rik!

This be your lucky day, man!

"said coliform and not chloroform" means ...

that the "problem" can be cured with $2 worth of chlorine -- is why you are "lucky."

Find someone who really knows what they are doing with rural wells. Also, ask/demand that you see the actual test results from the samples the owner had tested. Also, get your own done. I personally would do the whole 300-assay test at a certified water lab.

There may be some reason that the coliform is present, but, generally speaking, it always shows up in rural wells from time to time. Easy to fix, unless there is some bacterial pollutant running into the well. Often coliform is from fecal (like septic) waste, but not always.

We have lived in rural environs for 25 years, and always had our own wells. We had coliform three or four times. Dump a gallon of chlorine down the well. Wait 12 hours. It will likely make the wate rall muddy and "brown." Then run the water slowly thru a garden hose for 10-12 hours, and it should be okay. Also, search Google for "shock well" and you'll get even better instructions.

Basically, though, you'll want the coliform correction done by the owner, before you close. I am pretty sure it is the law in Texas that you have to have potable water for a well.

Anyway, what a sigh of relief I felt for you. Hope you get a good deal on the place, and this turns out to be a very minor inconvenience on your way to a rural paradise. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

All the best.
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

<font color="blue"> She said coliform </font color>

Thats why I asked before. It is relatively common. Just make sure you get a clean sample before you close. Here in Ohio, it must be negative for coliform before closing.

Rik, Well you are prepared for any chloroform testing should it become required.

As regards coliform bacteria: I think it is bacteria that lives in the "gut" of warm blooded animals. If that is incorrect I'm sure we'll have someone stepping forward to correct it.

You may have heard about contamination of human consumables (food and drink) due to the presence of coliform bacteria, specifically e-coli. e-coli are a prime indicator of fecal contamination. This can be anything from improper septic operation/location to cattle grazing near the well and surface water leaking in to the well or a lot of other causes.

Super chlorinating the well (shocking it) will indeed kill the fecal coliform bacteria but will do nothing to ensure that the contamination will not be repeated. You could continuously chlorinate your well water and then use filters such as activated charcoal to remove the excess chlorination and its byproducts such as chloroform. I would personally be interested in knowing the source, quantity, and health risks of the fecal contamination and the prognosis for the various amelioration strategies that may be suggested by professional water quality folk. Maybe that is just me but I wouldn't be none to happy about fecal contamination in my water.

Don't let any real estate types pooh pooh any real concerns for the health and welfare of you and yours.

You might want to read here:

http://www.wellowner.org/awaterquality/coliform.shtml

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, Hakim, and Jerry-
    Thank you very much for all of the information that you gave me.
    We are approaching these well issues more cautiously and armed with a bit more knowledge. I will post an update regarding the water status as soon as the well has been treated and tested again. I’ll definitely want another test prior to closing as well.

This is a real common issue with rural wells. I put one cup of bleach per 100' of well depth in the well once a year.