Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'd like your advice

I\'d like your advice

I am looking for your assitance in finding some home building plans for a 1200 SQ FT home (or smaller). I have been to the many, many eplan sites and am either missing the good ones because there are so many or perhaps I'm just to particular. I can build up to a 1200 sq ft home as either a guest home or a secondary residence. I am currently in a mobile home that sits where the prime building site is. I am now considering building a nice guest house to live in while we work on our main home plans. I hope to have a basement, definitely a usable attic that will not count towards the sq footage. I understand this is possible if the space is not conditioned. If you have or know of any plan sites etc., I would surely appreciate it. By having a nice guest house, I also hope to convince my wife that we don't need nearly as big a home as she would like. I like cottage style, craftsman, ranch style homes. Thanks in advance. RaT...

Re: I\'d like your advice

There are architects specializing in building GOOD smaller homes. At least one wrote a book about it but I forget the name. Try Amazon.com and do a little searching.

I wanted a smaller home than I am presently building (see south central Oklahoma farm house thread) but I also like being married to the same gal. If you don't mind being a batchelor again, you can have a really small home.

I like craftsman too. Best of luck in the coming compromises.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

There is a book called "The Big Little House" while it does not have any house plans in the book, it does give great ideas as to how to build, design a smaller square footage house with more living space. Talks of designs that are open yet intimate. Areas that serve more than one purpose. The wife and I were told to read it by our builder before we had the plans for our house drawn up. It does have some great ideas. As someone else mentioned, I love my wife, and wanted to keep her, Watch for my new book "The Big House with more Room than I'll ever need or really wanted"

<font color="blue"> The Big Little House </font color>

Is this the exact title? Who is the author?

I did a search on Amazon and it did not find such a title.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

RaT,
    I'm in the process of building an 840 sq ft house that will eventually be a weekender/guest house. For now, once it's finished, it will probably be a main dwelling until I get the larger "home" built. I searched around like I'm sure you did to find something I could use, and mostly what I found in the smaller homes was a floor plan that wasted a lot of space. Here's what I did. I picked an exterior design that I wanted and modified the interior floor plan to increase living space. My house is 840 square feet, but it is mostly all useable space. No hallway, pocket doors and bi-fold doors where applicable. My pitch is 6/12 so I easily have room in the attic to add a loft or an extra living quarter if I so choose. A spiral staircase can make it accessible without taking up much downstair floor space. I would recommend that you find the exterior look that you want and then draw your own floor plan. You might surprise yourself with what you can gain. Good luck.

Thanks for the responses. Interesting that we both seem to be on the same train of thought. I have a a decent idea of what the exterior might be, it's maximizing the interior space via thinner walls, no hallways or entry hall etc.

Once I get my house completely in the dry, about 3 more weeks, I'm going to post pics and commentary. Maybe something in my experience can help you. I started like you're doing, looking at plans, looking at optimizing space so I could cut costs and still have what I wanted in the small home. My budget is under $20K turnkey. I'll explain how I've done that when I finish the exterior.

RaT :

I looked all over for house plans, and finally settled on a plan that suits me and my lot from this website . I sent them an inquiry about modifying a plan a bit, and the owner (in Connecticut, I think) actually called me on the phone to clarify a few things and offer his assistance in general. (I have picked Plan # W2177DR with some changes). I found him very helpful and when I do purchase the plans in a short while, I will definitely be using this company.
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

Ian, your getting very close with that design. Thanks a million for the link! RaT...

I bought a house plan from them also and have to say they are a top notch company!!