Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airstrips

Airstrips

Anyone have an airstrip on their property?

I am considering clearing about 2200ft for an airstrip on ours.

Re: Airstrips

<font color="blue"> I am considering clearing about 2200ft for an airstrip on ours.
    </font color>

Then what, wait for someone to land? [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I'm sure you have your reasons for considering this. Welcome to CBN, and please consider filling out your profile.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Cut the dude some slack, Gatorboy. You can tell by his moniker that he flies RV's. Like as in RV-aviator. Perhaps the 2005 Winnegabo turbo-prop with cannards. Fine machine!

Correct,

I am an aviator. I am building an RV6A by Vans Aircraft. Website is www.vansaircraft.com. This company produces the most prolific line of homebuilts, currently 3500+ flying. Land about 50 MPH and cruise 200. Need 500ft +- to land or take-off.

Currently flying a Beech Musketeer.

One of the reasons, I am considering an airstrip is I think it adds value to the property - maybe not, but it does add a substantial feature to the property. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to e-mail an ariel schematic(PDF) of my plan. This was done on the county GIS Website - pretty cool.

So forgive my ignorance, but isn't this like the baseball field: if you build it, they will come? Will this field be listed on navigation maps, and do you have to keep it maintained?

Well maybe they'll come, but it is a 'private' strip. Will be listed on Aeronautical Maps, but not for public use.

Part of my thinking is to get it done before they shut down your ability to have an airstrip - it seems to be harder and harder to do this.

Certainly, if I plan to use it, it will have to be maintained and that is a consideration, along with potential liability if someone has a problem. That is why it will never be 'public'. May even put just the strip in a LLC.

I guess this is my personal 'field of dreams'.

Actually I have given it a thought. I've got 950' of open space, that would be perfect. However, there is a small airfield less than a mile away.

That's beautiful. You sure it's just 950 ft? You really need a couple of thousand in my opinion.

Go get your wings.

Dave, you save you've given it a thought. Your bio states you're starting a tree farm. Methinks an airstrip with trees would make for quite a challenge. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> "Need 500ft +- to land or take-off" </font color>

<font color="blue">"You really need a couple of thousand in my opinion." </font color>

Now I'm confused -- do you need 500 or a couple thousand? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]