Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ozone for water purification - any experience??

Re: Ozone for water purification - any experience?

<font color="blue"> As regards the size of a tank... There are 231 cubic inches in one US gallon. Since a cubic foot is 12 by 12 by 12 inches, a cubic foot has 1728 cubic inches. Thus one cubic foot = 1728 cubic inches = (1728/231) gallons = 7.48 gallons. </font color>

Oh. Duh. I guess I could have done the math... [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Thanks Pat. That means I have something in the neighborhood of a 1000 gallon cistern outside my house. It's concrete tank, buried so the top is just a few inches above the local ground level. About 4x8 is visible, and I haven't tested the depth. It appears that it was the original water source for the house, then later became an adjunct to a well, then got turned off. I assume the pump is still in the tank, because all of the indoor parts are still there. No, I do NOT use this water!

It's got water in it - I have rain gutters directed into it right now. Someone at some point chopped a crude hole in the roof of it and ran a pipe in from the gutter runoff. I've kept that in place so far.

I'm thinking of reviving it for irrigation use only. I plan to do a complete re-working of our water system, maybe later this year. The line coming in from my well currently enters the basement at the highest corner, so any leaks would have to run diagonally across the basement floor to the sump. Brilliant! The line from the cistern comes in from another corner, and feeds into a dual-tank filtering apparatus (of unknown type), then into the rest of the plumbing system. It is still connected, and it's obvious that the current well is the newcomer, as it is tapped into older pipe. One pressure tank.

Since it's all old equipment, and the cistern is still part of the system (though shut off), I want to get rid of it all and start fresh.

I plan to run the working well line around the perimeter of the basement and put the new equipment near the sump. Water heater and any filtering/treatment equipment will also go there. I'll use an irrigation pump for the cistern water if I go that route.

Any thoughts on this, gents?

Gary Slusser wrote:
    "Ozone and chlorine do not 'deactivate' cysts or crypto but class A UV does. UV has a number of pretreatment requirements."

I would disagree that ozone doesn't affect cysts or crypto as mentioned here. Ozone is a powerful disinfectant.

I DO agree though that Class-A UV systems are superior to Class-B systems fro proper disnfection for a number of reasons.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

I've not seen anything saying that ozone deactivates cysts or crypo but it may although chlorine does not.

Class B UV does not but it does deactivate all bacteria found in supposedly potable water that are known to be dangerous to humans. Anyone can check that out a the EPA web site.