Thread: .DXF or .DWG

.DXF or .DWG

I can purchase a CAD set of plans and they request that I select either DWG or DXF type of file. I understand that a program like AutoCAD uses DXF and many other programs like Solid Works uses DWG files. Can I get a DWG and convert it to a DXF, vice versa. If your going to get one, I suppose that I would find most places using AutoCAD. Any advice? RaT....

Re: .DXF or .DWG

AutoCad does both I believe. I don't really know which is a standard format.

DXF is more common though it is very version specific. The different versions are not necessarily compatible. I looked at some CNC equipment the other day that will take a DXF direct for programming. Pretty slick.

The better format though, is IGES (not sure the file extension). IGES is backwards and frontwards compatible and does a better job of capturing the data elements in the translation. Trouble is, the machine tool guys aren't working to it so you still need off-line programming.

Upon re-reading your post, it will depend on your needs RaT. If you are just importing into a program to view/manipulate/print it will largely depend on your software.

Hmmm, I'm not helping here much am I? Let me know what you are planning to do, what your options are and I can talk to our CAD gurus if you want [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Thanks for the responses. I have a fella that can work the plan for me in Solidworks and several that can work it in AutoCAD. I would ask them but have to do some research to find the two AutoCAD guys phone numbers and the Solidworks guy is vacationing in Hawaii. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Ra T,

Either format works fine with Auto CAD. The drawings would be better viewed in a CAD program because of all the information and dimensions could get garbled or lost if they are converted into a solids program like solid works.

*.dwg is Auto CAD's main format but it reads dxf nearly the same . . . Some other CAD (older) programs can read dxf better than dwg. That said, go with dwg.

The one thing to be aware of is compatability. Older versions of Auto CAD can not open drawings which were saved on a newer version of Auto CAD. Ie Auto CAD 2000 can not read a Auto CAD 2005 dwg file. The 2005 user can dumb it down by saving it as an Auto CAD 2000 file. Check with your Auto CAD people for their version and insist that the drawings are dumbed down so they can be read.

AC 2005 can read AC 2000 drawings however.

P.S. I design boats on a CAD program daily.

Good Luck,

-Lloyd

Thank You.