Thread: More on substitute teaching:

More on substitute teaching:

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I finally got all of my paperwork squared away and took a three-day assignment to teach History at the local high school. I LOVE it! I love teaching history and the kids are responding well. I tell them the little details of history that nobody ever mentions and that makes it a lot more interesting. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The money is good too; 100 bucks per day. I'm home by 3:45 PM.
    CJDave

Re: More on substitute teaching:

Dave, pretty darn good deal, getting paid to do something you love. Getting kids interested in History is quite a challenge. Wish someone would pay me to fish. Good Luck.

Boy, I wish we had your pay scale! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] In our school district we get $60 for 2 years of college, $65 for four years, and $70 if you have Maine teacher certification.

For the daily assignments, there is very little 'teaching'. Generally, the regular teacher can not count on the fact that the substitute knows anything about the subject. So they leave work assignments for the students based on that. I have done several long-term assignments (6-12 weeks) that are much different. The sub needs to be able to generate and execute lesson plans, correct papers, and deal with grades.

I remember your post about the long-term assignment, and I am hoping that I can always teach short stints for that very reason. I suppose I COULD develop lessons over a long time, but it is a lot of work. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] This three-day teaching gig will be my first actual PAYCHECK since 1976. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] It's going to seem strange to get paid like that instead of as a company. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I copied a sheet that shows all of the teachers and what subjects they teach so I can let the sub coordinator know which subjects I don't want to teach, like foods or music, or art. Gimme Geometry, Anatomy, Physics, and Calculus instead. Actually, most subs don't want the solids because as was mentioned, they don't know anything about the material. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] This particular school district got tired of having subs read the newspaper because they weren't qualified people so they raised the daily pay rate to attract actual teachers or those who have a lot of education, so those teaching opportunities won't be wasted. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave