Thread: Crooked cattle auction?

Crooked cattle auction?

I am new to the cattle business. I went to a local cattle auction the otherday. The bred cows were selling higher than usuall. I saw the owner of the stockyard bidding along with others. I later learned that the owner of the stockyard was also the owner of the cows and he was bidding for people who wanted him to buy them a few cows. Is this normal at stockyards it seems crooked to me. The cows that usually sell for 850-950 were bringing 1200-1300.

Re: Crooked cattle auction?

I have never been to a cattle auction, but I have seen this done at horse and tack auctions. There is nothing more irritating to me than bidding against the owner!!!! I don't go to the auction anymore and buy my tack from reputable dealers. Too many shady people!

Cowboydoc would probably be the best person to tell you whether this is appropiate behaviour at a cattle auction.

Joe

I hope someone can shed light on this situation.

It's completely appropriate both in the horse and cattle auctions. First of all the owner of a cattle auction is ALWAYS bidding on cattle. I regularly will call the auction house if I'm looking for calves, steers, etc. The owner is the one who will bid on your behalf. Almost always too there are bidders online or on the phones. The owner will explain the cattle and the buyer will tell him to bid or not on their behalf.

It's the same at horse auctions. Also as an owner I've bid on my own horses as well. I have a certain amount that horse has to go for. If he doesn't bring it he's going to no sale. It's a common practice.

I guess that will work in my favor when I sell my calves.

If the fescue doesnt kill them all.