Thread: beagles nose bleeds

beagles nose bleeds

her area between her nose, the thing with the nostrils, and her mouth seems to be rubbed like a carpet burn. is this normal for her to hunt so much she rubs it raw?

Re: beagles nose bleeds

I've never hunted with Beagles, but I wouldn't be too concerned about what you describe. Beagles hunt with their nose, so I would think it might get raw at times.
    They call that "fight drive". The ability to do the intended job or work even though they are hurting themselves or experiencing discomfort. Like crashing into a thorn bush to retrieve or flush game or a protection dog ignoring stick hits in order to keep his bite on the decoy.
    You might want to apply a little bag balm to the area on the days she isn't hunting so it heals a little inbetween.

Re: beagles nose bleeds

It's not because he's hunting.. it's because he's burying stuff. Beagles will use their nose to push dirt, leaves, etc.. to hide their prize.

My beagle got into trouble one day at my parents house.. he hid his treat in the living room sofa.. w/ his scrapped up nose.. he put streaks of blood all over the cushions trying to hide his treat for later. Mom was not happy! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]