Thread: German Okra

German Okra

Does anyone know anything about German Okra ?
    How is it different then regular okra ?

My son had some given to him and he wants to know if there is any recipes on different ways to make it.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    If you see someome without a smile -- Give them yours !
    You'll both feel better !

Re: German Okra

Are you sure it wasn't "okra cooked German style"? I doubt there is a German variey of okra. On the other hand, my German descended Granny made German potato salad by frying up a bunch of bacon until the grease rendered, then adding lots of chopped onion and cooking that until soft. She then made up a sauce by adding sugar, salt, pepper and flour to the grease and then stirring in some vinegar and cooking with stirring until it was bubbly. Then she'd put in her cooked and sliced potatoes. The same recipe works with green beans, and I wouldn't be surprised if it tasted pretty good with okra. I mean, bacon makes everything taste good, nicht var?

Chuck

Re: German Okra

well he said the lady said it was german okra, and it did not look like his okra he had growing, he said it looked like long cucumbers, really thin, it was still on the vine in her garden, and she picked some and gave them to try.

I have never heard of german okra either.
    she told him her grandmother brought the seeds over from germany when she came over.

oh well who knows lol

Thanks

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    If you see someome without a smile -- Give them yours !
    You'll both feel better !