Thread: ? about removing smoke smell

? about removing smoke smell

I just got a great deal on some very old Longaberger baskets. However they came from a smokers home and still have that lingering smoke oder.

I was wondering what method would work best and be safe for the baskets. They are a mapel wood weave and very strong so I dont think a dip in something would hurt them and the stain is very old (22 yrs) so I doubt it would tend to run or fade.

I have thought about hanging them in the garage in a plastic bag with something to work on the smell but I am at a loss as to what to use.

Has anyone ever had to do something like this before and what did you use? Anything beats the smoke smell, I even thought about mothballs. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks.
    Everything in life comes full circle, it's just a matter of time.

Re: ? about removing smoke smell

The smell is actually coming from nicotine residue. I'm sure if you had the means to look closely you would see a yellowish cast on the material. The only way to get rid of the smell is to get rid of the residue.

How?

I would start with a floor mopping substance for cleaning wood flooring and a soft brush. Don't drench them, scrub them and then dry them with a towel and lay them in the sun to dry quickly. Damage to wood occurs when it gets wet and stays wet.

Another option might be to seal them with a clear spray on poly-eurethane. Then the odor would be trapped.

JMHO.

Thank You!

I did not realize that there was a residue left that caused the oder.

I will also take an old toothbrush and scrub the weaves. I do plan on airing them out well before bring them into the house.

This will be my first 'home' chore as soon as we get back in off the road for a few days.

Thank You again for the insight. Cathy
    Everything in life comes full circle, it's just a matter of time.

If you go to Awesome Products, Inc. and look at item #092 on that page, you'll see the best thing we've found for removing that residue. I didn't check to see the price on their website, but my wife buys at the "Dollar" stores in the area.