Thread: slab foundations

slab foundations

we poured a monolith/slab foundation for a future garage project (28x32). we were unable tobuild the agrage this Fall so I am wondering if I should cover the slab for the winter ( northern ny) or, would the slab fare well as it is. any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: slab foundations

If the slab is designed for 'freezing' conditions and is a floating slab on the proper base, I wouldn't think you would have any more (or worse) problem leaving it exposed, vs having the garage on it (if it has been poured for 4-6 months).
    But having said that, it takes a while for the concrete to cure, and covering it may help that curing process longer into the winter. I would cover it with a thick (2') layer of hay or straw, and put a large tarp over that to keep it in place. I'd do this just to remove some of the risk of cracking from heaving and uncurred concrete.

Re: slab foundations

Thank you. I had placed two layers of 6 mil plastic over the top but a tear allowed water to get between the slab and plastic. I think I will remove this and start again with a layer of straw/sawdust then re-tarp.