Thread: POLE BARN ?

POLE BARN ?

FIRST OFF, I JUST FOUND THIS SITE & TBN A FEW DAYS AGO. I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR SITES LIKE THESE. REALLY GREAT INFO ON BOTH. MY QUESTION IS ON POLE BARNS, IT SEEMS MOST INFO SAYS YOU SHOULD CONCRETE THE POLES. HOWEVER, A FRIEND OF THE FAMILY WHOSE FAMILY HAS BUILT NUMEROUS POLE BARNS, SAYS THE CONCRETE AROUND THE POLES HOLDS WATER AND CAUSES THEM TO ROT. HE SAYS I SHOULD JUST TAMP THE IN THE DIRT THAT CAME OUT OF THE HOLE & THEY WILL LAST LONGER. SAYS THE STRENGTH COMES IN THE HORIZONTAL BRACING & SIDING. I'M PROBLY LOOKING AT SPRING B4 DOING ANYTHING, BUT ANY OPINIONS ARE APPRECIATED. THNX IN ADVANCE

Re: POLE BARN ?

First, welcome to CBN! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Second, ALL CAPS IS CONSIDERED TO BE SHOUTING. Are you really shouting? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Third, your friend is right. When they built my barn they drilled the hole, dropped a concrete 'cookie' in, the pole sat on the cookie and they backfilled with the dirt that came out of the hole and tamped it.

YES I'M A VERY ANGRY PERSON. LOL. just kidding. i did the same thing on tbn. i don't do much talking on forums. i had heard the all caps thing before, but just didn't think about it. my apologies. yea i found a similar thread on tbn (after posting mine)that supported his argument. thnx for the response. reading these forums is answering a lot of ?s, but raising a lot more. i'll try to keep my voice down tho.

I agree with Mike. We will sometimes put a sack of concrete in the bottom of the hole but I would no way fill the entire hole with concrete.

ALLBALD1; If you were to pour concrete around the post, it not only will promote water retention, as the ground freezes the frost can lift the pole right out of the ground. Never pour concrete around a deck post either, same thing.

Welcome, and don't forget your bio, we like to know where people are from [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , the same on TBN! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Trucks are red, Tractors are blue.