Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Home Schooling

Administrator

Re: Home Schooling

Hi Frank,

Thank you for one of the best essays on the glory of home schooling I have ever read. And congratulations to your children for their excellent achievements, which I am sure will continue to expand as they grow into fabulous human beings in their adulthood. You and your wife are just about the perfect parents.

Our experiences in home schooling mirror your almost exactly. TBN is the "product" of home schoolers.

Many, many people ask me (when they meet my sons) "how did you ever get them to turn out that way?" They mean, clear, polite, intelligent, healthy, etc. I just say, "We spent time with them."

I think that is the #1 key to success in home schooling -- you are there with them and can really and truly know your children, and they of course get to be influenced by you and your wife in thousands of positive ways. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

All the best,
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

Well the first few weeks were pretty tough and I must admit I thought we might have done the wrong thing. However, my wife and I rearraged our schedules and set specific time apart to teach the girls. My wife has taken on our first grader and I'm working with our fourth grader. Now that we have a schedule it's going very well.

Before when I would ask how school was you got a canned answer. I feel so much better now knowing what they need to work on. When we're driving or have down time at rodeos and shows it's easy to quiz them on problems or go over difficult material.

We're still learning and fitting it all together but I can't see ever sending them back to public school now.

Thank you all for your advice.

Richard

Home schooling is just like a lot of other things.

If you want it done right you often have to do it yourself!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Good on you, Doc.
    You determination will pay big dividends later in their life.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Very good informative post. I have a 3 year old son and am just now understanding what the worry and concern about public education is all about. I am inspired to learn more about the various home methods mentioned here

I've thought about homeschooling for awhile. Now that my son is in middle school and has learned stuff from other kids that he should not know, I wish I would of started him off in homeschooling.

I don't think it's to late.My work keeps me at public scholls 90% of the time and it floors me what I see on a regular basis.If it wasn't for traveling so much I would do it.

i think standing for good things and never being against bad things is exactly the reason why we keep getting beat up by the left. this is a good example of our problem, CJdave was right to speak against a "pro homo" agenda in our schools in a public forum, i say good job cj. i would expect certin groups to have something bad to say about it , but not fellow christians or non christians with good common sence. we can never expect to have prayer back in our schools or the 10 commandments back in the courthouse if even the people on our side jump us just for speaking against bad things.

I am reading these postings and wondering if it is possible to do home schooling without using products that have a religious focus?

Almost all of the posts in this form have some kind of emphasis on religion. Or maybe that is just the way that it sounds to someone who has no experience with this schooling method.

If I wanted to start home schooling WITHOUT a religious emphasis, where would I go?

Administrator

Hi,

Glad to hear you are considering home schooling. The stats are that about 50% of home schoolers are "faith-based" in curriculum, and the other 50% are non-Christian, or more or less secular.

We enrolled our children in Oak Meadow School Oak Meadow Web Site, where they attended for most of grade school, and graduated from high school there. Your child(ren) will receive an actual state high school diploma from Oak Meadow. Not all home school s can do so. Oak Meadow accepts students of all faiths, nationalites and backgrounds.

Our sons own and operate this CountryByNet.com forum, and also www.tractorbynet.com and several other major sites.

They both attended college at SUNY Binghamton in New York right after graduating form Oak Meadow.

I could not praise our experience with them more highly.

You will love it. More importanty, your kids will be very happy.
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator