Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Home Schooling

Re: Home Schooling

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I work in kind of an: "educational interstitial" so to speak in that I do volunteer teaching in a small Christian school not too far from where we live in SE Iowa. It isn't HOME SCHOOLING, but some of the course materials are the same as what home schoolers would use. Of course small schools are constantly struggling with budgetary issues so when I called and asked if they needed a volunteer to do some of the HEAVY LIFTING like teach advanced Math and Physics and so forth, they could hardly believe their ears. The classes are small, and it is easy for me to teach almost one-on-one. The school is big enough that the kids get "socialization" without the priviledge of being mugged each day for their lunch money, or having their learning constantly interrupted by those who I refer to as: "professional disrupters". I also do substitute teaching in local public schools and each school has a handful of brats whose total focus seems to be: TO KEEP EVERYONE ELSE FROM LEARNING. The admin is powerless against these kids because they won't take unified action; there is always one or two teachers who are willing to put up with these disrupters at the expense of their own lesson plan. It is a joy to teach in an environment where real learning can take place. Because they can zooom across town to take Chemistry or Band at the local high school, the Christain school in which I volunteer is definitely, in many ways, the best of both educational worlds for those kids. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave, Good on you for volunteering! I thought about doing that too but have too many other distractions AND a good friend of mine (he and his wife are both retired teachers from the JC HS level (and a private academy) mostly advised me against it for some of the reasons you mentioined and more. She is MA in English and he is PhD in Biology.

He asked me why I thought my personal psych profile would empower me to "handle" the BS spewed forth from what passes for learners these days. I reflected on it quite a bit and have pretty much found other things to do but later when (if) I get caught up I might want to help out some. Out here on the fringes of civilization my background in physics, math, computer sci, and software engineering could probably supplement the available instruction nicely.

One of the local consolidated high school teachers brought her class to tour my house and hear about the various engineering concepts employed in the design and construction.

Oh, and Dave... did they ask if you were bilingual?

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

: [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If they did ask, I would have answered in Spanish. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I don't know much Spanish, but I know enough to SOUND like I know how to speak Spanish. I can ask if the brakes work; which is MORE than 90% of the kids in a H.S. fourth year Spanish class knew. The teacher that I took the class for had them making posters that depicted different SA countries......sixth grade level crap....and here they couldn't even ask someone if their car was an automatic....er I mean ...grancha automatico. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Pat, what you need to do is teach a UNIT of a certain subject. In the first place, you'd have more specific knowledge of that particular unit than the instructor who was teaching the whole course, and in the second place, the students would remember it better if it came from you, an outsider. I did a unit on parasitology....totally without the text book.... for two sections of Science at a local Jr High skool about a year ago, and some of those kids STILL come up to me in the store or in the barber shop and comment on it. They had no problem remembering the life cycle of a tapeworm. YUK! those cestodes are really gross! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] You should visit with some of the local Profs Pat and see about that; I'm sure it would be right up your alley. The other thing you would like is teaching in one of the gifted programs; those kids are SMART, and they would figure out right quick that YOU were smart and you'd have their respect. Gifted kids respect brains, so they would instantly connect with you and it would be a great opportunity for learning to take place. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave, I guess if I have fooled you I could fool them.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

i'm researching homeschooling as well, and have come to many sites discussing these topic. there seems to be a lot of people considering this. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] people have different views on how education ought to be, and we have freedom to choose what we believe is right to us.. good luck with your choice... my link supports homeschooling, so if you want more information, you can just visit it..[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    [a href="link"] www.homeschoolforsuccess.com[a]
    [a href="link"] www.commanderandcheese.com [a]