Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: horse lovers

horse lovers

I have been looking for a beginners horse for myself and 4 daughters for months now. I 've tried locally, newpaper, rescues and no luck. My big hurtle is that my husband won't pay over $500. The daily cost and up keep isn't an issue. I'm getting desperate, I've been riding and I'm an ok beginner rider but I don't want to be great just good enough to share some small easy trail rides w/ a horse on our farm. A senior horsewould be perfect. Its a childhood dream to have a horse to love and take good care of. Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone have or know of a horse that needs a new home? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: horse lovers

$500 is not a reasonable price for a horse. I got all three of my horses from a horse rescue group, where they buy up horses destined for the meat market at auctions. My wife and I are not accomplished riders either, and two of the horses we got are quarterhorse geldings who had been at a summer camp that closed. They were starved and skin and bones, but we got them back into great shape. They are gentle, sweet and loving, and since they were used to having kids riding on them, they're pretty much bomb proof. But even from a rescue group, you have to reimburse their expenses, such as the cost for them at the auction and vet and farrier fees. Our two boys cost us $1600 for the two of them, which I consider incredibly cheap, considering what great horses they are.

Very occasionally you hear about someone willing to give up a horse to a good home, but usually there are issues of some sort with the horse. Tell your husband he's not being realistic, because he's not. Then contact the horse rescue groups in your area, and tell them what you're looking for.

Just remember, horses are wonderful animals, but they are a lot of work, and are expensive to keep, even if you have a barn, considering vet and farrier fees.

Also...one more thing. Horses are herd animals, and you really should have at least two. Some horses will enjoy a goat or two as a companion, but a horse alone can lead to trouble. They will get bored and lonely, and all sorts of negative behaviors could develop, such as cribbing, where the horse bites on wood in his/her stall or fences while swallowing air. It's a destructive habit, and believe it or not, they get sort of a high out of it, so it's very addicting, especially to a bored and lonely horse. You have to realize that horses are intelligent and social animals, with many needs.

Good luck!!!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Believe me, I sadly know that $500 is not reasonable. This is killing me, it like I can touch my dream w/ my finger tips but can't grab it. I have one rescue that has been conversing w/ me, just don't have a beginners horse. Just like when you go car shopping, your already sold when you go, its just which one, so I'm having a hard time w/ the waiting game.
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

I agree with everything Rich said. Your target price is too low and more than one horse is mandatory, IMO. When we got our first one, we had to wait until our barn was finished (you have a place to keep the horse, right?) to get our second. It was enough to break your heart to see a horse all alone. Fortunately, a neighbor down the road had horses and theirs and ours could 'talk' and visit occasionally.

yes, we have a 11'x 12' stall and we'll keep the horse w/ the 2 calves in the pasture, not the stall. The stall is empty and lonely. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    its 5 o'clock somewhere

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

If you're really set on getting just one horse, ask your local rescue groups if they have any companion horses. Companion horses have some kind of issue that makes them unrideable, but they're still good company for another horse. Occasionally, a rescue group may give one to a good home. Even a companion horse can be an enjoyable pet. We consider all three of our horses pets, and we would love them just as much even if we could never ride them again. Horses are very social, and usually enjoy human companionship, and are very responsive. Unfortunately, unless you plan on moving into the barn, a horse still needs a full time companion, so please think twice before getting a single horse. I really don't know if horses and cows are compatible as companion animals. I know they can graze together, but I don't know if they interact enough to keep a horse from getting terribly bored and lonely.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

I couldn't agree with Rich and Mike more. The initial cost of the horse is the easy part. If you can only afford $500 for a horse, and I don't mean to be cruel, but you shouldn't have a horse. One vet emergency will be more than $500. You will spend $500 or more in one year of good foot care. $500 won't even buy you a good saddle. And I see this all the time too where people buy a cheap saddle that doesn't fit the horse and then wonder why the horse won't behave. Well it's because he's hurting. Heck you'll spend $500 a year in sawdust if you are keeping him in a stall any amount of time. Horses are expensive IF you take care of them. You'll spend almost that much in good vet care for a year. I really hate to see this kind of thing. People want to pay nothing for a horse and think they won't have to pay anything to keep the horse.

You get what you pay for. You need to spend at least $1500 and up for a good broke younger healthy horse. Also just remember when you are looking for that dirt cheap horse. Ask yourself how much your life and the lives of your children are worth. One bad accident with a cheap horse nobody wanted and that $500 will be the last thing you think about. Also one trip to the doctor for a broken bone or worse will take care of that $500 plus alot more.

If I sound harsh I am trying to be. If you can only afford $500 now then save up for a couple years and get a couple thousand together that will buy a reasonable horse. Also make sure you've budgeted at least $100 or more a month for care for the horse. Also you need to budget at least a $1000 for good tack and basic horse supplies. Horses are not cheap. And they can be very dangerous even under the best of circumstances. You said you had four daughters. I don't think you could live with yourself if something bad happened because you bought the cheapest horse, cheapest tack, and gave the cheapest care to the horse. Best of luck to you but go in with your eyes wide open.

COWBOYDOC, it's funny U said that! I'm a want a be writer & I just finished a 3 page article on "Horse for Sale"!! Ma'm take all this as constructive critizim! The boys are right & U don't want to take the most valued possessions you got( U'r children) and put them on a horse that could possibly kill them or injury them for live!!! The expense ='s to 50 lbs of feed a wk(at least) and hay, figure a bale a week, horse shoer every six wks or so! Normal vets bills not including the accidents & injuries! Oh yeah, tack, let's see English, western or austraian! Now let's multiply that by 4 girls! Sorry! Don't even think about X's 4! I'll tell U what, your best bet is to find stable to work for riding lessons or find someone to teach riding lessons(kids & U) and let them start that way, then you'll see who really wants to have a horse! Then start there!
    Again I apoligize for such frankness But really be sure before u jump!!! roho

doc's message prompted me to do something I usually don't do...I created a report in Quicken to see what we've spent on the horse's this year.

As background, we do not show our horses (3 of them), they are strictly pleasure horses, so there's no 'unusual' tack purchases. There were no unsual health issues this year. We use wood chips for bedding. The farrier is here approximately every 6 weeks, the vet once a quarter. While we do buy other (non-horse) related items at the feed store, the majority of it is equine. We buy hay locally, although this year we've bought less since I fenced in a 3 acre pasture.

We've averaged $200 - $250/horse/month.

Some people golf, some take vacations, some buy new cars every year. We have horses. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] As doc said, please do not underestimate the time and the money needed to properly care for horses. There are too many sad stories of people who bought a horse and were overwhelmed by the time they take, the money they take, or both.

Regarding buying a horse...If you don't know much about horses and what to look for, take someone along who does and who you can trust. This can be a friend, a riding instructor, a horse vet, even a farrier. While all but the friend will probably charge a fee, it's well worth the money.

MikePa,
    You've laid the situation out pretty well, IMO, life would be pretty dull around my place if I quit everything that does not generate a positive cash flow. These therapeutic activities help keep my sanity and, I think, reduce my medical costs. Doubt that Mrs TK would agree. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

TK