Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: horse lovers

Re: horse lovers

Egon, I think "professional" trainers were around, even back then. And as now, and in any profession, some were better than others. Of course, I'm sure there were lots of do-it-yourselfers, just as there have been do-it-yourselfers as well as professional mechanics taking care of our transportation needs in more modern times. I can remember my Dad talking about one of his first jobs working for a horse trainer in the 1930s.

<font color="green">I can recall the days when horses were the prime mover for farm work and most people had saddle horses. Can't remember any of them having a proffessional trainer. </font color>

There have always been professional trainers Egon. That's not to say that they all had trainers, but back in that day you were around the horse everyday. You had to learn basic horsemanship skills or you starved.

Have you ever watched the old westerns or some of the Amish horses today? Yeah you can ride them but I sure as heck wouldn't consider them broke. Big bits, heads jerked on, bucking, face going the other way when neck reining, horses running off, no flex, etc. etc. Not what I would consider a trained horse even though you can ride them. Training has also come a long way. Gone are the days of a true horseman jerking a horse 10 times to stop them, pull left to go left an pull right to go right. It used to be you blindfolded one, snubbed them up to a post or big strong horse and jumped on and let her buck. I rarely have a horse buck anymore. There are better ways and it leads to a much better horse in the end.

Even an old cowboy like my grandfather learned a new way from the way his father and grandfather did it. He got to be friends with a couple of the real horseman of our time, Bill and Tom Dorrance when they were up in Wallowa, Oregon. Then later he got to be friends with Ray Hunt down in Mountain Home, Idaho. Those guys are what I consider horse trainers, not horse breakers. I learned just from watching and listening. You never talked as a kid back then. Although I don't have to tell you that. I came away with an education that money could never buy you and an appreciation for horses that many will never understand. My day job pays for all that I never could have gotten from just training horses but my heart is sure with the horses and that's why I get a little passionate over the horse issues. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Doggone; knew I'd get flammed. I gotta admit there have always been horse trainers available.

Think I was trying to say that most people then did not make use of them.

From our area there were two or three regular Calgary Stampede Chuckwagon competitors. They all did their own training. As time went on and horse breeds changed it got so that the outriders were hard pressed to keep up with the wagon.

Unruly horses didn't last long. Some might get a second chance but never a third. One also tried to position themselves as best possible to avoid injury.

The old western movie depiction of a cowboy probably had little in common with the reality of a working cowboy other than the hats and boots that the working cowboy could'nt afford.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

egon, are you recommending that a self-proclaimed beginner rider, like opie744, buy a wild mustang as their first horse?

Egon in no way did I mean to come across like I was flaming you. I'm very sorry that you took it that way. All I meant was that yes you are exactly right it used to be people did train alot of their own horses. It's much different today where horses are a luxury rather than a necessity. Most people are so busy with other things it's tough to spend much if any time learning how to train a horse yourself. I don't think there are too many horse skills being developed today. I guess you could look at it like cars. Back when cars were a luxury and horses a necessity. Now it's horses are a luxury and cars a necessity for most people. Most everyone knows how to drive a car, but not a horse. And back when most people needed some instruction on how to drive and take care of a car, especially those first ones!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Nope, a fully grown wild mustang is out as well as some other fully grown breeds.

But buying a wild mustang colt may be an altogether different matter. It may work, it may not. Depends on heritage and personal handling.

I'd not recomend buying a colt from some of the other breeds though.

Don't really know much about horses but did spend some time around them when they were used for work rather than pleasure. Completly different perspective.

I do have a hoof rasp, some tongs for handling hot horse shoes, the proper hammers and some horseshoe nails also.

Also know they really like curry combs and cats think they make for a great bed.

Egon
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Doc:

flaming you.

No offence here. It was just a figure of speech on my part. Many of my comments border on the verge of irony or is it ignorance??

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

I'd say it's irony Egon. I don't think there's one shred of ignorance about you. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Richard, I have to admit I was a bit surprised with your reply when I read it. Perhaps the motivation is different here. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

In this case this horse has paid his dues and his noggin is starting to get knotted up when run hard in the show pen. He is no longer going to be a solid 72-74 Non Pro without serious time off so why not retire him? If that can be done with a good assurance the rest of his days are pleasant ones, then I am all for it.

For context let me say that my wife and I have been fortunate to work with and for many in the horse industry including nationally recognized breeders, auctioneers and trainers for some time and have seen all sides of the horse industry in Working Cow Horse/Reining/Cutting. Recently I saw a horse go through the Select Sale at Snaffle Bit last year where the purchaser was trying to back out of the purchase after the gavel went down. I was standing with the breeder when this person came up to argue his case. Without batting an eye the breeder turned to a friend of mine, who just happened to be standing there, and asked her if she wanted the horse for free. Within a short time the deal was completed for no money.

I am not sure anyone is harmed by letting people know that there are good and spectacular deals out there if they look. It might be a long shot and they may find its not worth the time to look around but that is up to them.

Best of luck with your Smart Chic baby.
    Mark

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Egon, what I meant was that in today's society, only an extremely experienced horsemen or horsewoman should attempt to train a horse. As Bird and Cowboydoc said, times were different when people depended on horses, but now days, the average horse person just doesn't have those skills. Or at least I don't have those skills. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."